A/C in SW - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 3rd, 2012, 08:44 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
A/C in SW

I have never been in a 90 SW in the hot summertime. For those of you that have SW's, how is the AC? Does it cool the entire truck comfortably? My thoughts are that I live in Denver now, so a SW would be okay, but if I were to move back to the south, I am not sure how I would feel about a SW in the dead of summer heat.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 3rd, 2012, 08:50 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Ive gone two summers in the Georgia ridiculousness without functioning AC. Not recommended unless you wear Army Greens or gym clothes.....however, obviously it didnt bother me enough to drive two hours to get custom lines built. Im about to get it fixed, no matter if you are in Georgia or the Rockies, the SW generates and traps heat like a champ.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 09:10 PM
MGPete
Pete C
'95 D90 SW

Registry
My 95 SW has factory A/C and I find it to be quite adequate in keeping me cool. The faster I drive, the more outside heat filters in to the cabin, so keeping it slow is the way to go.
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 3rd, 2012, 10:02 PM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
I took the A/C out of my 95 SW. I roll down the windows and open the vents all year. Lived in Denver most of my childhood and I definitely wouldn't use it up there. For the limited heat you have there during the days I would rather have the power to the engine to help navigating the mountains.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 10:11 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeCinYa View Post
I have never been in a 90 SW in the hot summertime. For those of you that have SW's, how is the AC? Does it cool the entire truck comfortably? My thoughts are that I live in Denver now, so a SW would be okay, but if I were to move back to the south, I am not sure how I would feel about a SW in the dead of summer heat.
It's nasty. Ask me how I know.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old December 3rd, 2012, 10:39 PM
hunterjah
Jesse Hardin
Past: '97 D90 LE #135

I'm in Texas with an LE. it's not awful, on the highest setting you get some cold air. I wouldn't expect comfort, but I always felt my ST was worse in the summer.

Previous Rovers:
1997 LR D90 LE - #135
1997 LR D90 ST - #1185 (BRG)
2000 LR Discovery SII (Oxford Blue)
2008 LR LR3 HSE (Alaska White)
2012 LR LR4 Lux (Fuji White)
Old December 3rd, 2012, 10:53 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post

It's nasty. Ask me how I know.
How do you know?

I'm really not concerned about this while living in Denver, but chances are I will move back to SC, GA or FL at some point. Don't want to roast my passengers in a 95 degree day.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old December 3rd, 2012, 10:55 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeCinYa View Post

How do you know?

I'm really not concerned about this while living in Denver, but chances are I will move back to SC, GA or FL at some point. Don't want to roast my passengers in a 95 degree day.
Because I have a defender and drive it in the summer with broken AC.
Old December 4th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Lack of insulation is as much of an issue as a small a/c. Pull the headliner and dynamat the roof. For that matter, do the floors and bulkhead too. Tint the windows. You should be fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-11-27 17.17.43.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	62143  
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)
Old December 4th, 2012, 10:53 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese_D90 View Post
Lack of insulation is as much of an issue as a small a/c. Pull the headliner and dynamat the roof. For that matter, do the floors and bulkhead too. Tint the windows. You should be fine.
also the cats and bulkhead are not well shielded so lots of heat gets into the cabin
Old December 4th, 2012, 01:09 PM
trumphair
Martin
97-D90

Live in Texas and the A/C in my '97 SW is bearable. Would I jump in mid day wearing a suit and tie and expect to be comfortable? No.

I have a roof rack that blocks the sun up top and dyanamated most of the interior (which was definitely an improvement).
Old December 4th, 2012, 02:11 PM
winn442
Winn Bearden

Registry
The trick is to seal, I mean really seal the floorboards, tunnel, and seatbox. You won't believe how much heat migrates through....then dynamat everything, including the roof.

Even after doing that, I don't believe that the underdash unit would have kept up in South Georgia when it's 101 and 99% humidity...... Glad I spent the extra and installed a second smaller unit in the back.
Old December 4th, 2012, 02:26 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
the cats and the bulkhead are the worst for heat, wrap the exhaust a little dynamat in the seatboxes. I have always been happy with how the AC performs in my 95. My feet get really hot, its a little better with dynamat. I personally feel that the dynamat is over-rated, that being said every little bit helps when you have nothing
Old December 4th, 2012, 02:56 PM
winn442
Winn Bearden

Registry
What really helped in mine was that I had several large rolls of 6" wide 1/4" thick dense foam that was adhesive backed, I put this down over the dynamat on the floorboards and footwells, then put heavy duty rubber-backed marine carpet down over that. Cut down on the noise and heat tremendously...of course, I don't have cats.....except for the ones that leave pawprints on the bonnet every night....
Old December 4th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaker View Post
I took the A/C out of my 95 SW. I roll down the windows and open the vents all year. Lived in Denver most of my childhood and I definitely wouldn't use it up there. For the limited heat you have there during the days I would rather have the power to the engine to help navigating the mountains.
Yeah dont listen to Gunmaker....he's just Texas tough that way! A/C is the only way to go!!
Old December 4th, 2012, 04:32 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
I've been driving a SW as a daily driver for 8+ years and I currently have no additional insulation. The AC is more than adequate for the front passengers and up to four in the rear. On really humid days the system will sweat inside, which is a little annoying but all in all it works and i don't see a need to change anything.

Clay
Old December 4th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Does anyone make an aftermarket A/C system for the D90? If so, how much better than factory is it, and what is the cost?

FWIW, I had an aftermarket system fitted to my '83 Porsche 911. Factory system was worthless, but with the aftermarket (Griffiths) system it was like an ice box!
Old December 4th, 2012, 09:24 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
Does anyone make an aftermarket A/C system for the D90? If so, how much better than factory is it, and what is the cost?

FWIW, I had an aftermarket system fitted to my '83 Porsche 911. Factory system was worthless, but with the aftermarket (Griffiths) system it was like an ice box!
I think a few guys on here have done it. Message Wolf. I think some guys have used early 80's Chevy kits (from what I remember reading) and they bolted up cleanly to the bottom of the dash.

Compressors are easy to find, condensers are off the shelf, lines can be made...etc..
Old December 4th, 2012, 09:26 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Yeah there's a long thread somewhere on here about that chevy or something or other unit fit to Defenders.
Old December 4th, 2012, 09:26 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by winn442 View Post
Me and several other people have made systems using parts from NostalgicAir.com....search for some threads on the subject.
Find this thread.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions