A/c improvement - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 27th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
A/c improvement

Just have a question if anyone ever improved the 97 ac. Although it does blow cool it has to run on full to keep it just cool not very cool inside my SW on really hot days. My late 94 system used to freeze me out even with the top off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2011, 05:42 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Really? Did you check the charge on it?
Old May 27th, 2011, 07:03 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
What Ron said.. Mine wasn't cold this year until I dumped an additional 36 ounces into the system.. Nice 40 degrees since March..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
It just had a full charge..it is making a hissing sound in the truck though off an on.
Old May 27th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I have the same late model A/C unit as is available from RN now. The ones with the controls on the drivers side.

I have gone through a complete journey of exploration with that A/C, working directly with the UK factory that makes it for LR.

I ended up having to replace the A/C internal wiring harness to get everything to work right, but after all was said and done, all 3 settings were still warmer than I would have expected. Included under warranty replacement with the wiring internal was a new probe. I ended up disconnecting the original installed probe that sits somewhere around the evaporator. I'm not sure it disloged and fell closer to the evap or what. I put the new probe closer to the outlets.

What the probe does is feed the ecu with the air temp. the closer it is to the evap, the sooner it hits temp and triggers the ECU to turn the compressor clutch off. I was finding that even though my outlet temp was relatively warm, the ecu was disengaging the clutch too soon.

with the new position of the probe, my three settings are perfectly chilly in a nice graduated increment. You may either be suffering from a slipped or faulty probe if your a/c is too warm on all three settings, but you do need to make sure you have sufficient refrigerant charge first.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions