A/C freezing up - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 22nd, 2008, 09:52 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
A/C freezing up

I have a late model underdash A/C (same as RN kit) and I have noticed that it freezes up after about an hour of operation, at which time the blowing air dwindels to zilch with the fan on high. I have to turn it off and let it melt off for about 30, before I can turn it back on again. Any ideas why it's doing that and any kind of resolution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 23rd, 2008, 10:46 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Have you tried adjusting the cold level? I assume you have two variable switches, one for fan speed and the other the cool level. Before mine was overhauled, it would freeze when at the coldest setting.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 10:58 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Mine freezes at lowest setting. Research I did last night after posting this is the likely cause is either a bad low pressure cycling switch, insufficient refrigerant due to a leak that also introduced moist air, or a bad expansion valve. I'm going to have it looked at by an ac mechanic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 25th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Mark,
mine does the exact same thing...my new AC guy says it's probably because the previous shop that filled it with R132 probably didn't evacuate correctly...he thinks he can redo the freon install and solve the problem. keep us posted on your findings.
George

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions