A/C controls - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 19th, 2010, 12:31 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

A/C controls

I really want to relocate my A/C control box from my cubby to the face of the A/C unit to make room for a radio box.

Here's what I have now:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/defender90/4620235811/

I want the setup where the controls are down right next to the louvers.

Is this possible without replacing the entire A/C?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 2010, 02:56 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I am sure it could be moved to the oval area with the clock if you eliminated or moved something.
Old May 19th, 2010, 10:11 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I was thinking more about the ducting piece under the dash that has the louvers in, replacing it with a unit that has switches. Not sure if different models of A/C are compatible as far as that piece is concerned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 2010, 10:24 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Not really, but anything is possible. I tried that and just ended up purchasing the new duct from George and selling the old one. The wiring is different and I was unable to locate accurate diagrams for it. I have a few posts about AC installation and questions pertaining to this. It's trying to mix a Wynn and Daivia system to accomplish what you want. I was trying to do it in reverse of your plan- newer blower with older fascia/switches.

Best bet is to move the current set of switches and install them either in the AC fascia where you want or mess with the center clock area. An upholstery shop could probably do something for less than the new fascia. But do you really want to cut up this set up or just start over? I think George still has the newer blower and fascia but they aren't cheap.

Alex
Old May 19th, 2010, 12:38 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias View Post
Not really, but anything is possible. I tried that and just ended up purchasing the new duct from George and selling the old one. The wiring is different and I was unable to locate accurate diagrams for it. I have a few posts about AC installation and questions pertaining to this. It's trying to mix a Wynn and Daivia system to accomplish what you want. I was trying to do it in reverse of your plan- newer blower with older fascia/switches.

Best bet is to move the current set of switches and install them either in the AC fascia where you want or mess with the center clock area. An upholstery shop could probably do something for less than the new fascia. But do you really want to cut up this set up or just start over? I think George still has the newer blower and fascia but they aren't cheap.

Alex
Thanks Alex, that sums up my situation nicely. I'd like to relocate the switches but I'm in your boat: I've not been able to find any wiring diagrams for my A/C controls. The switches have a number of leads going into them. The wiring also runs behind the dash and I'm pretty sure that I'd have to pull the whole dash apart to discover how it's routed. Then the wires would probably be too short and I'd have to splice everything, all just to add some hacked-up looking switches somewhere else.

Yeah, I think it's time for either a new blower and fascia or perhaps it's just time to remove the A/C entirely. I almost never use it and it takes up a lot of the passenger footwell. I'm really torn.
Old May 19th, 2010, 01:56 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
IIRC correctly there are two sets of wires in the truck that branch off to the blower and the controls. There should be two, maybe three wires for the controller and a copper temp sensor that routes back to the blower. The bulk of the wiring you see goes back under the hood to the drier, compressor, and fan and then into the truck. All this is based on my 95 and messing with this months ago. The controls will have a wire for the fan speed and another for temp (that's funny I know). The back the of the swtich has a a few connections but only two are actually used (I think).

When I was messing with this I was trying to get a new Wynn blower to mate with an old Daivia controller (like yours) and fascia. But, I didn't have the system set up and was trying to unerstand how to install it too. Charles has a great link on the site for the removal of his system. Tons of photos. So it might not actually be too complicated to figure it out (famous last words). I do have the Wynn fascia so if you want photos of that to compare let me know and I can take some this week. I still haven't install the AC unit in my truck.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions