A/C blowing on side - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 31st, 2010, 07:42 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

A/C blowing on side

Ok, I have a goofy issue.

My A/C is blowing very nicely on the wife's side of the truck, where she is always cold. My side of the truck has hardly any air coming out of the vents. Any ideas why the passenger side gets 90% of the cold air???

tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 31st, 2010, 07:50 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
Ok, I have a goofy issue.

My A/C is blowing very nicely on the wife's side of the truck, where she is always cold. My side of the truck has hardly any air coming out of the vents. Any ideas why the passenger side gets 90% of the cold air???

tom
carefully pry out all the vents on your side. my guess is that there is a piece of insulation in that narrow channel over the tunnel that came loose, has flipped up and obstructing crossflow. I can't imagine anything else that would cause it.
Old August 31st, 2010, 07:58 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
carefully pry out all the vents on your side. my guess is that there is a piece of insulation in that narrow channel over the tunnel that came loose, has flipped up and obstructing crossflow. I can't imagine anything else that would cause it.

Ok, I will look into it. Problem is Wife gets cold (she is always cold) and I have to turn it off.......

------ Follow up post added August 31st, 2010 08:17 PM ------

A wire hanger dug the small piece of insulation out. Blowing fine now. THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 31st, 2010, 10:12 PM
Redefender
Randy Kamptner
1997 Defender Wagon

Similar but different issue

I just purchased my '97 Defender with ac and it blows great from the two center vents and hardly at all from the two side vents? I'll check for blockage but the problem seems too consistent for this. Any other ideas
Old August 31st, 2010, 10:14 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redefender View Post
I just purchased my '97 Defender with ac and it blows great from the two center vents and hardly at all from the two side vents? I'll check for blockage but the problem seems too consistent for this. Any other ideas
Nope. would be same problem.
Old September 1st, 2010, 07:25 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

My 97 D0- has always had a weak far left vent. So, I took them all out today to check and there was no foam that fell off.

However, I noticed that the far left and far right holes where the vents go have a plastic box inside with a few holes in it. I doubt that this is structural, it seems like it's designed to limit air flow to the outside vents. The inner vents don't have such plastic restrictors. If you close the inner vents sure more flow to the outer ones but there's still plenty of restriction - you can hear the air being blocked.

I tried pushing it in hoping it would pop right off but no way. It also cannot be pulled out of the dash as it's locked into the plenum frame.

To get more flow you may have to drill holes into the plastic or start cutting pieces of it off with snips. It is somewhat flexible.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wing