A/C and heater question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 18th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
A/C and heater question

Can anyone tell me exactly where the underdash A/C system draws it's fresh air in? (I have the newer style with controls in the center if it makes a difference).

Also, on the heater, which coolant line is the "In" side versus the "out" side? Installing a 120v coolant heater, and want to make sure I'm tying into the "in side"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2008, 03:58 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The ac sucks it air from the passengers feet - so its always on "recirc!"

The manual had a coolant flow diagram which was accurate for my truck, but I cant recall which is which. I have trouble with left/right etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old January 18th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
can you tell me EXACTLY where on the assembly by the passenger feet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2008, 04:26 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

The coolant line closest to the bulkhead is the "IN" to the heater matrix on my truck, it would be the fitting that comes out of the Block and not off the long tube on a 300 TDi . What heater are you using Mark?

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old January 18th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
can you tell me EXACTLY where on the assembly by the passenger feet?
There are openings on the side of the blower housing, this is where the air comes in. This mounts to the bottom of the coil (I think that is what it is called).
Old January 18th, 2008, 04:36 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Gregs right, its sucked in at the back of the housing unit, deep in the footwell, on either side.

Old January 18th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Interesting. Thanks for all the response.

In ref to the heater, I'm installing a 1500W Zerostart coolant heater, I picked up on ebay for $30 new. Read through several forums and it sounds like that will do the trick. I can put it on a timer in the morning, for toasty heat when I get it. If I can hook up a timer control with a bypass on the fan switch (think, think, think) then I can come out to a 15 minute preheated cabin as well. shouldn't be to hard if I can find the right timer...

As for the A/C, I'm asking as I had a revelation a few weeks ago. IF there was a way to tie in a diverter valve on 1 of the A/C intakes, and then tie that diverter valve into the dash heater duct somewhere close to the matrix on the other side, then when I turn the a/c blower on (while leaving the compressor switch OFF), I might have a life changing event. Anybody get where I'm going with this?

That late model a/c system I have puts out some serious air, and has some incredible potential if it can access the matrix. If this works, I won't ever need an aux heater matrix.
Old January 19th, 2008, 02:24 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
You want ac blower-powered heat.

I think it would actually be pretty simple. Your passenger side lower dash heater vent actually goes through or behind the ac vent housing, depending on the model. If you were to close this off so that it opened into the ac vent housing, you could possibly achieve your goal.

Old January 19th, 2008, 08:36 AM
kennybahr
Kenny Bahr
94 D90 Alpine White #1245

I also have a heater question...is there a way to make heat come out of the vents? I can only get heat to come out of the front windshield defrost. I push the far left lever all the way down, and the right lever in the middle. When I use the AC controls of course it only blows cold air.
Thanks
Old January 19th, 2008, 08:50 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Your vents are probably stuck closed because the cable has come loose. Reach under the dash and push up on the vent (you'll feel it covered with foam) at the same time you move the slider on the dash. That should keep them open until you want to rip your dash apart and fix it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
heater