a-arm joint/ wishbone joint - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 21st, 2007, 05:38 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

a-arm joint/ wishbone joint

I am trying to put the a-arm back together on the D-90 and I'm running into a bit of a bind. That is, when I try to tighten the big nut that secures the a-arm ball joint to the rear axle, the ball shaft itself is turning and thus the nut will not go tighter. Is there an easier way to secure the ball while I tighten the nut on the bottom? Any help is appreciated!

I couldn't find much via a search, so if it's been discussed before, just let me know.

Thanks!
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2007, 06:34 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

Thanks, I'll give it a shot with a c-clamp. I'm thinking I might have to go with the Rovertym a-arm adapter because of the lift. I've tried forcing the ball joint into the hole via other methods but none of them worked because it's binding quite a bit from the lift. Looks like I'll have to head off to Sears for a big c-clamp.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old January 21st, 2007, 08:33 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

You can also just slip a bottle jack over the ball joint and use the weight of the vehicle as leverage to hold it in place.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2007, 09:07 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

Quote:
You can also just slip a bottle jack over the ball joint and use the weight of the vehicle as leverage to hold it in place.
Note sure if I follow on this one... do you mean put the bottle jack between the body (rear floor panel) and the top of the ball joint?

That's a great idea, but if that's what you meant, it won't quite work in my situation because the body is still off the frame :D
Old January 21st, 2007, 09:35 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass
Note sure if I follow on this one... do you mean put the bottle jack between the body (rear floor panel) and the top of the ball joint?

That's a great idea, but if that's what you meant, it won't quite work in my situation because the body is still off the frame :D
Exactly, slip the jack between the ball joint and body and crank a couple of times to put pressure on the ball joint. It is, however, significantly harder if there is no body there.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions