A-Arm Ball Joint Replacement - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 10th, 2004, 04:29 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

A-Arm Ball Joint Replacement

I'm going to replace the ball joint in the rear A-Arm this weekend. I've heard various horror stories. Just wondering if anyone has any words of advice before I dive in. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 10th, 2004, 04:34 PM
mudrover
Peter Miller
1990 RR
D-90 Source Vendor

Spray it with penatrating lube and let it sit overnight. Oh and have a torch handy if it goes bad. Half of them are quick 30 min job, the others turn into major pains. A press helps to nock the balljoint in and out of the arm. Good luck.

Rigless for now
1999.5 CC PSD - Tow Bus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If it looks like it works and it feels like it works...Then it works
Old June 10th, 2004, 06:16 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I had to heat it with a torch then hit it with the BFH... Big Fuc$% Hammer. I pressed it back in. Not a big deal. Take the piece out and do it in a vice.
Advertisement

Old June 10th, 2004, 07:19 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Thanks for the info. I've got a local machine shop that says they can press the joint out/in, so I may take it there if I run into trouble (I don't have a torch available).

One other thing: Do you find it any easier to take this area apart by having the frame supported on stands or just leave everything on the ground? I'll be removing the trailing links as well so the axle will be connected to the frame only by the springs.
Old June 10th, 2004, 08:47 PM
redrover

Ryan, I would first get the threaded portion seperated from axle tube. I loosened the castle nut and shifted back in forth in driveway between rev/forward. If that doesnt loosen it, try jacking up the upper control arms a little and then pound upwards on the threaded portion of old ball joint. When you have the ball joint seat out of vehicle , you will need to cut the ends of the ball joint flange off. This is the 3/16 thick area surrounding the two screws that hold the ball joint to seat. Then bridge it over a open vise and pound it out. A 93 might be rust welded in there. I added a little anti seeze copper compound to new joint and pressed back in. Use 2 long bolts to act as guides when pressing in new ball joint. I also found a piece of pipe with a inside dia that fits cleanly around the balljoint boot to act as a press collar. I will include a drawing of the cuts needed on old ball joint flange. JP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan20.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	810  
Old June 11th, 2004, 11:32 AM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

JP - Thanks for the advice. Yeah, AFAIK it's the original ball joint so it may be stuck in their pretty good. I'm hoping this is one of those jobs that's not so bad once you actually do it. But it sounds like most people have to get a little aggro getting the old joint out.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac