97'Nas Stalls out and dies - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 3rd, 2005, 06:35 PM
WEMICHENER
Bill Michener
1997 Defender 90

Unhappy 97'Nas Stalls out and dies

Hello, Im new to the forums but have always used D-90 source for help. I needed to post to get some help. I have a 1997 D-90 NAS and the engine dies out after 15 minutes of running. It has 80,000 miles on it, I have replaced plugs and fuel filter but my hunch is leaning towards a bad O2 sensor or some other sensor like the MAS. I have driven it when I get up in the morning to work which is around 8 miles away and it runs fine. Then I take it to Taco Bell for lunch(round trip 5miles) and no problems. Then when Im heading home from work the D90 dies out, when I go to restart it, it seems like its not getting any fuel and gurgles and backfires but wont idel and dies out. I wait between 20min to an hour and it starts right back up with no problems but soon succumbs to the previous problems. Any suggestions would be appreciated. This is the first trouble with my D90.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 3rd, 2005, 06:44 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
throttle position sensor?
Old October 3rd, 2005, 07:12 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

It is not uncommon for a fuel pump to quit when hot and them come back to life when it cools off...check fuel pressure when it is acting up.
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 3rd, 2005, 07:19 PM
milli
Michael D. Milliken
9590SW

Coil and amplifier? That was the first thing to go on mine.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 07:50 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

More likely than not, it does not like to be parked anywhere around a Taco Bell. What are you thinking? Would you take your girlfriend to a Taco Bell? I sure hope not. D90's like to be around cool settings, great people and play sic tunes through it's windows. Sounds like it is just pissed off at you.

If it is a sensor and it is bad enough to stall, then it is showing a code--check the obd. If it does not show a code, my vote is with the fuel pump and is where I would check next.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 08:13 PM
milli
Michael D. Milliken
9590SW

hahaha
Old October 3rd, 2005, 08:28 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Sounds like you're leaving work early and your boss is on to you. He probably installed a remote-activated kill switch.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 09:13 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Since it will throw a code if the sensors are off and you have an electronic ignition in a 97 I am going with fuel. It's easy to check fuel pressure on a 97, there is a fitting on the fuel rail, it is the same as what is on a tire to check air pressure. All you need is a cheap old tire pressure gauge. when it is stalling remove the little plastic cover put the gauge on and you should read someplace around 40 PSI. If not then you know you are not getting fuel pressure. The first thing I would do is remove the filler cap on the gas tank, there may be a vaccume if the breather is clogged and then your pump won't be able to build pressure. If thats not it, you should be able to hear the pump come on when you turn the key to the second position, it will only go on for 10 to 20 seconds. If it comes on and you still don't build pressure then you fuel filter may be clogged.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 09:43 PM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Mine ('97) has 70k and I had the stalling after a while as well. Little different though - mine would restart, and I'd have to keep it idling with the pedal.

Since it dies after a short drive, something to consider is the duration of the automatic choking. This might be keeping the engine running while it is running, then dying after the choking stops completely. Just a dumb thought.

Turning the stepper solenoid upside-down fixed mine.
Old October 9th, 2005, 05:36 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

Could be the ignition key lock cylinder wore out on mine and the care would start up and then go off. Easy fix. Another thing it could be is a wet ecu in which case it is only a matter of time until it dries out. Those are the things that have happen to me and my 97.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:17 AM
Cholla
Jack Copass
97 D-90 SW

Same poor idle/stalling on my 97SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicks
Mine ('97) has 70k and I had the stalling after a while as well. Little different though - mine would restart, and I'd have to keep it idling with the pedal.

Since it dies after a short drive, something to consider is the duration of the automatic choking. This might be keeping the engine running while it is running, then dying after the choking stops completely. Just a dumb thought.

Turning the stepper solenoid upside-down fixed mine.
Hello Wicks,

I have the same problem with my 97, 70K miles, usually happens after first start up, when engine warms up to normal. Decelerating to a stop, or in stop go traffic, when this problem occurs, the idle just keeps dropping, either stalling, or dropping down to 200rpm, then slowly coming back up. It has been getting more frequent, like yesterday, after warmed up, I turned off, to get gas, then upon restart, it just dies, won't idle at all unless I keep my foot on accelerator pedal. Then after driving a while, all OK again, normal operation. There are no codes on computer(fault or pending). I have replaced TPS, Stepper Motor, fuel pressure regulator, main relay/fuel pump relay, engine temp sensor, fuel filter, 3 years ago-fuel pump, cleaned MAF and tried w/another good one (no difference). Recently changed plugs/wires, checked fuel pressure at rail-32psi, vacuumm-steady 16" at idle, no vacuum leaks I could find, cleaned multiplugs on MAF, computer and coil pack outlets, cleaned plenum ports w/ carb cleaner. I had to get Land Rover dealer to reset adaptions after changing TPS.

Still same persistent problem..... ANy help much appreciated!

Thanks, Jack Copass
Old March 23rd, 2006, 12:07 PM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Wow, sympathies for your difficulty with that one. At least she'll still run and get you out of (or ito as the case may be) the jungle!

Mine resolved when I inverted the stepper. You could try it, just takes 5 minutes.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 01:17 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

I know it sounds wierd, but how old is your battery? 'had similar problems with my '97 Disco; the dealer had me replace the battery and it fixed it (?).
Old March 23rd, 2006, 02:50 PM
Cholla
Jack Copass
97 D-90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryO
I know it sounds wierd, but how old is your battery? 'had similar problems with my '97 Disco; the dealer had me replace the battery and it fixed it (?).
Thanks for your input Barry. My battery is a 3 yr. old Optima Red Top in fine condition-tests in proper working order, and alternator good also. I hope to get this stalling resolved soon.

Jack
Old March 23rd, 2006, 03:09 PM
Scott 9835
Scott Falter
95 D90

Try replacing the fuel pump relay and the main ecu relay I think they are under the passenger seat. I have seen them do weried things like yours. I know 94-95 d90 and 110s or under the passenger seat but not sure if yours are seens you have gems and not the 14cux. If there are no codes then it is proble fuel related.

scott
Old March 24th, 2006, 03:08 AM
Cholla
Jack Copass
97 D-90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 9835
Try replacing the fuel pump relay and the main ecu relay I think they are under the passenger seat. I have seen them do weried things like yours. I know 94-95 d90 and 110s or under the passenger seat but not sure if yours are seens you have gems and not the 14cux. If there are no codes then it is proble fuel related.

scott
Thanks for your input Scott, I already replaced these two relays, that are in one black module that fits behind the ECU in my 97(Gems), with no change in symptoms. This problem is a bit difficult with no codes pending or fault. Fuel pump replaced 3 yrs. ago, and fuel pressure regulator and filter recent.
Old March 24th, 2006, 11:51 AM
fleabus
Dan
None :(

I posted a similar thread a while back... I tried all the things you mentioned and then finally ended up replacing the main ECU which resolved the problem. I was lucky enough to find someone on the board selling their old ECU (thanks again dmarchand), but I recall Bill @ TLR had one for sale at a reasonable price (www.tntlr.com). It may be worth a shot.

Cheers!

-Dan
Old March 24th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Cholla
Jack Copass
97 D-90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleabus
I posted a similar thread a while back... I tried all the things you mentioned and then finally ended up replacing the main ECU which resolved the problem. I was lucky enough to find someone on the board selling their old ECU (thanks again dmarchand), but I recall Bill @ TLR had one for sale at a reasonable price (www.tntlr.com). It may be worth a shot.

Cheers!

-Dan
Hey Dan, thanks for your input. I thought it was fixed a few weeks ago, but sudden idle drop/stalling returned, worse now. I am trying to get live data feed info on my code scanner now, but may need new ECU. Thanks!

Jack
Old March 24th, 2006, 09:34 PM
fleabus
Dan
None :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cholla
Hey Dan, thanks for your input. I thought it was fixed a few weeks ago, but sudden idle drop/stalling returned, worse now. I am trying to get live data feed info on my code scanner now, but may need new ECU. Thanks!

Jack
I had a few blips after installing the new ECU, but it has been running fine for quite some time now.
Old March 24th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Cholla
Jack Copass
97 D-90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleabus
I had a few blips after installing the new ECU, but it has been running fine for quite some time now.
Hello Dan, glad to hear you have resolved your same problem with the new ECU. Did you replace the engine wiring harness also? I found a post about 4.0 Range Rovers that had same problem, and it traced down to vacuum hose on passenger side of plenum to rocker valve cover, becoming soft with age,and collapsing from vacuum with engine slowing to idle. I replaced my hose( looked OK) and noticed some improvement, but still have some idle suddenly dropping way low. My code scanner provided nothing conclusive yet. It is almost like the idle control is hesitating or sticking, causing low idle or stalling. Got to get to the bottom of this....

Thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
97, nas