97'Nas Stalls out and dies - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old March 25th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Antonios
Status: Offline
Antonios Hadjigeorgalis
No more
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 123
I had a real similar problem with my 94. Try unplugging the Vehicle Speed Sensor and see if the trucks behavior changes. Mine started off only stalling right after I started up cold, but then progressed to when hot, and finally to the point where it would drive fine in the morning, but I could barely make it home it drove so bad in the afternoon.

I unplugged the sensor and it drove 100% better, although it still occasionally stalled or idled rough. Apparently no signal is better than the bad signal that thing puts out. I just replaced it today and the truck is driving perfect.
__________________
Antonios Hadjigeorgalis
Miami, FL
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #22  
Old March 26th, 2006, 02:21 AM
Cholla
Status: Offline
Jack Copass
97 D-90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Yucca Valley, Ca. USA
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonios
I had a real similar problem with my 94. Try unplugging the Vehicle Speed Sensor and see if the trucks behavior changes. Mine started off only stalling right after I started up cold, but then progressed to when hot, and finally to the point where it would drive fine in the morning, but I could barely make it home it drove so bad in the afternoon.

I unplugged the sensor and it drove 100% better, although it still occasionally stalled or idled rough. Apparently no signal is better than the bad signal that thing puts out. I just replaced it today and the truck is driving perfect.
Hello Antonio, I thought that this might be a factor also, and replaced my VSS last month, but no change... I was surprised that this sensor fell apart upon removal from the transfer case, yet the speedometer was still working OK. I discovered today, upon capturing some data with my code scanner while idle was dropping below normal and about to stall, that below 650 rpm, the fuel system #1 and #2 are going into "open loop", which I think means O2 sensors are not providing signal, and ECU goes to default mode which may be a factor. I have got to do some more testing... Thanks for your input,
Jack
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old March 26th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Chaucer
Status: Offline
Will
93 110 | 97 90
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: WA
Posts: 583
Hey Jack,

I had the same symptoms you describe to a T. My problem was two-fold: The Crankshaft Position Sensor was shorting out. I saw a nice dried-up, crusty stubstance all over it that I thought was probably antifreeze. I was right, but I needed to figure out where the leak was coming from. I bought some ultraviolet dye from Schucks or Napa and put it into the radiator. I let the problem run for a while a week or so, maybe less. I then took the UV flashlight and looked for the florescent predator-blood trail. It definitely was coolant that was shorting the Crankshaft Position Sensor. I started looking around the block and found the leak was coming from the head gaskets.

So basically my head gaskets were leaking and dripping coolant onto the CPS, shorting it out...causing the symptoms you are seeing.

Give it a looksee...
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #24  
Old March 26th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Cholla
Status: Offline
Jack Copass
97 D-90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Yucca Valley, Ca. USA
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaucer
Hey Jack,

I had the same symptoms you describe to a T. My problem was two-fold: The Crankshaft Position Sensor was shorting out. I saw a nice dried-up, crusty stubstance all over it that I thought was probably antifreeze. I was right, but I needed to figure out where the leak was coming from. I bought some ultraviolet dye from Schucks or Napa and put it into the radiator. I let the problem run for a while a week or so, maybe less. I then took the UV flashlight and looked for the florescent predator-blood trail. It definitely was coolant that was shorting the Crankshaft Position Sensor. I started looking around the block and found the leak was coming from the head gaskets.

So basically my head gaskets were leaking and dripping coolant onto the CPS, shorting it out...causing the symptoms you are seeing.

Give it a looksee...
Hello Will, Thanks much for your input. I will check that out. Is that sensor difficult to take out and inspect?
My 97 has 70K on the clock now. Thanks,
Jack
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old March 27th, 2006, 12:18 AM
Chaucer
Status: Offline
Will
93 110 | 97 90
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: WA
Posts: 583
Hmm. Don't remember, I switched it out with a new one which ran around $50.00 or so. 70K? I was around that mile range also when it happened to me.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old March 27th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Cholla
Status: Offline
Jack Copass
97 D-90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Yucca Valley, Ca. USA
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaucer
Hmm. Don't remember, I switched it out with a new one which ran around $50.00 or so. 70K? I was around that mile range also when it happened to me.
Thanks for your input, Will, I will check that out today.
Jack
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old March 31st, 2006, 08:58 PM
Cholla
Status: Offline
Jack Copass
97 D-90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Yucca Valley, Ca. USA
Posts: 22
Stalling 97/ intermittent low idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaucer
Hey Jack,

I had the same symptoms you describe to a T. My problem was two-fold: The Crankshaft Position Sensor was shorting out. I saw a nice dried-up, crusty stubstance all over it that I thought was probably antifreeze. I was right, but I needed to figure out where the leak was coming from. I bought some ultraviolet dye from Schucks or Napa and put it into the radiator. I let the problem run for a while a week or so, maybe less. I then took the UV flashlight and looked for the florescent predator-blood trail. It definitely was coolant that was shorting the Crankshaft Position Sensor. I started looking around the block and found the leak was coming from the head gaskets.

So basically my head gaskets were leaking and dripping coolant onto the CPS, shorting it out...causing the symptoms you are seeing.

Give it a looksee...
Hi all, well, I pulled out the crankshaft position sensor and found it looking OK, with no residue of any kind on it, but installed a new one for good measure (hoping maybe my original sensor was the source of problem). After that, it started and ran normal for about 10 miles, but after stopping for a few minutes, it would start but would not idle at all. Same thing about 10 times, until I step on the gas a little to rev it up. After a few minutes driving, then it reverts to normal. I read that sometimes the stepper motor piston will not hold position, creeping forward, after engine is shut off, instead of staying fully open for restart. LR techs removed the spring behind the stepper motor piston, to correct starting/immediate stalling probem. Don't know if this is my problem, but I will give it a try.

Otherwise, getting down to replacing ECU, engine harness or, ???? I thought maybe the evap canister purge valve might be sticking, but after removing/plugging vacuum tube that goes to that from the plenum, and driving, problem still persists. When this problem occurs, my scanner shows low idle, (if it doesn't stall) and the fuel systems 1 and 2 are in "open loop". No fault codes or pending.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
97, nas

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 AM.


Copyright