97 sw overheating - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 29th, 2015, 08:39 AM
Iamkraig
Kraig
1987 defender 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosz View Post
off road= little to no airflow, possibility of obstruction, thermostat. I would look into cleaning/radiator recore. most common failure of our 20 yr old machines and most overlooked component until it fails.
^^^^^ this^^^^^

Take a temp gun to your radiator when you are up to temp. Had the same issue and After throwing parts at it, I got a cheap temp gun and My lower section had little to no flow to 30%+. Re cored radiator and all set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 29th, 2015, 08:55 AM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
My 90 is doing something similar, only I'm not on a trail but in stop and go traffic on the way to the mall. No red zone on mine, just warmer than normal, but I am going to start with radiator recore and fan clutch. I was told the water pump would weep if it was going out. Radiator would be first if it's original.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old June 29th, 2015, 09:08 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

When my WP went out it was sitting in traffic with warning signs as the temp rose. Then as it started to seize shrieks from under the hood.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 29th, 2015, 09:35 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
fwiw RN can now get the rare 97 gems radiators. Zack just sent me one a few weeks ago.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 29th, 2015, 10:23 AM
RX6RCROL
Matthew Hedrick
1994 D-90 #646

Registry
Next time your engines good and hot, shut it down, open the hood and try to spin the fan by hand. It should not spin freely, should be resistance. Just had the same problem with mine and when overheating you could spin the fan freely. New fan clutch solved the problem and I was shocked at how much louder the engine was with the new clutch installed. My fan roars now.
Old June 29th, 2015, 10:49 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

fan clutch for sure.......
Old June 29th, 2015, 10:53 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

You can buy a HD clutch fan from O'Reillys for $66 plus tax. Part number 2991. Other auto parts stores carry it for the same price. The box may be Haydens, ImportSelect, etc but it's the same part. I just ordered one for my 99 DI to go through the cooling system. I'll be replacing the original rad too with a cheap aftermarket unit (either a rockauto or ebay plastic/alum unit in the $260 to $340 range). I had overheating issues this past week on the beach, in slow traffic and on the highway running a/c. Besides the old parts I believe a lot of my problem is associated with the DS converter clogging up (it rattles like crazy). The new aftermarket Y-pipe is in the shed waiting to get the truck up on the lift.
Old June 29th, 2015, 04:58 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
definitely do the fan clutch first. In my experience, a clogged radiator wouldn't cool an engine even if you were traveling at highway speeds. It would be instant overheat.
Old June 29th, 2015, 05:32 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron View Post
fan clutch for sure.......
glad you concur

Dividing Creek Imports

Old June 29th, 2015, 09:06 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
The viscous coupling was replaced about three years ago and the fan was moving fine at idle but I will double check it.
Old June 30th, 2015, 07:06 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzzzzzz View Post
You can buy a HD clutch fan from O'Reillys for $66 plus tax. Part number 2991. Other auto parts stores carry it for the same price. The box may be Haydens, ImportSelect, etc but it's the same part. I just ordered one for my 99 DI to go through the cooling system. I'll be replacing the original rad too with a cheap aftermarket unit (either a rockauto or ebay plastic/alum unit in the $260 to $340 range). I had overheating issues this past week on the beach, in slow traffic and on the highway running a/c. Besides the old parts I believe a lot of my problem is associated with the DS converter clogging up (it rattles like crazy). The new aftermarket Y-pipe is in the shed waiting to get the truck up on the lift.
HD clutches are pointless. They run constantly, create a load of notice and suck gas. You'll be far better with a standard one.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old June 30th, 2015, 07:10 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadeus View Post
The viscous coupling was replaced about three years ago and the fan was moving fine at idle but I will double check it.
test it with a rolled up news paper. Once hot/warm you shouldnt be able to stop it

Dividing Creek Imports

Old June 30th, 2015, 08:41 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
HD clutches are pointless. They run constantly, create a load of notice and suck gas. You'll be far better with a standard one.
I'm hearing you. When I use a standard replacement my LR is as quiet as a Lexus. I also noticed a .14 percent drop in fuel economy with the severe duty unit.
Old June 30th, 2015, 09:45 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Lots of strange advice in this thread. It is very uncommon for a Land Rover water pump to fail in a way in such that the impeller is not pumping enough fluid. Fan clutch and radiator would be the two most likely causes, and to be honest the radiator is probably due for a replacement if its original anyway. I don't see any need to get a Genuine water pump. The last Genuine V belt water pump I got came in a Land Rover box that had a Genuine water pump gasket and then in a bag there was the water pump and a cheap paper gasket. That indicates to me that it is just some re-boxed cheap aftermarket part.
Old July 1st, 2015, 10:33 AM
Roverchef
Jake K.
95 D90 SW

I'm with Uncle D on this one…fan clutch! Replace your thermostat too…unless you remember when you replaced it last.
Old August 7th, 2015, 02:32 AM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Finally got around to dealing with this. No problems since that trail... Checked my coupling as per uncle D's instructions. It was stopped by the newspaper.... While changing the coupling checked the pump. Had a slight play in the shaft and a small rasp in the bearing. So I changed it out as well....
Old August 7th, 2015, 07:28 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadeus View Post
Finally got around to dealing with this. No problems since that trail... Checked my coupling as per uncle D's instructions. It was stopped by the newspaper.... While changing the coupling checked the pump. Had a slight play in the shaft and a small rasp in the bearing. So I changed it out as well....
feels good, right?

Old August 7th, 2015, 11:09 AM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
feels good, right?
Yes and no.... Feels good to potentially find the problem but feels bad to dole out the cash lol!
Old August 7th, 2015, 11:16 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Cash is the fuel that keep Defenders on the road.
Old August 7th, 2015, 11:34 AM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Cash is the fuel that keep Defenders on the road.
So much pain, humor and truth in one sentence!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions