97 ST coolant leak when running - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 20th, 2015, 06:34 PM
nflory
Nate
1997/Defender 90 ST

97 ST coolant leak when running

Folks,

My 97 just started leaking coolant while running. It appears to becoming from the housing where the fans belt attaches. Is this common. Any way to check? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2015, 06:40 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nflory View Post
Folks, My 97 just started leaking coolant while running. It appears to becoming from the housing where the fans belt attaches. Is this common. Any way to check? Thanks
Water pump probably.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 20th, 2015, 10:53 PM
nflory
Nate
1997/Defender 90 ST

I loosened the radiator cap and plugged the overflow to see if I was getting blowback through the system (head gasket). Doesn't appear to be. Looks like the leak is coming off the top of the inflow on the pump from the radiator. The hoses look a little tough. Not sure what my next move should be.

How hard is it to change out the water pump? Any idea on total labor?

Thanks again

Nate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3312444575.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	510.5 KB
ID:	121286   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3659347914.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	376.3 KB
ID:	121287  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2015, 10:54 PM
Roverdoc
Dan Kemper
1997 D90 SW #278

Easy job for DIY. Download the rave, orders the parts. Get a new thermostat as well. New gasket and new new pump.
Old May 20th, 2015, 11:01 PM
nflory
Nate
1997/Defender 90 ST

Thanks Roverdoc. Anything else I should look for before ordering the pump, thermostat and gasket? If I take off the belt the water pump pulley should have some play in it if shot correct? Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old May 20th, 2015, 11:22 PM
Roverdoc
Dan Kemper
1997 D90 SW #278

Well. Depending on service history, may be a good time to replace the viscous clutch that attaches to the pump and the fan. I like to think of the clutch, pump, gaskets, thermostat all in one job since you are there. If removing the fan, purchase the correct wrench. I have a park tool bicycle spanner wrench that works perfect.
Old May 21st, 2015, 12:39 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

There is a weep hole under the pulley on the face of the pump that is designed to leak when pump is shot. If it was me, I'd remove the radiator to change the pump and do the step belt, have the radiator flushed (unless recently done). Not sure if I'd change the t-stat or clutch unless there was issue-- but if money is no object, then sure.
Old May 21st, 2015, 01:00 AM
Roverdoc
Dan Kemper
1997 D90 SW #278

Slippery slope. I would say if you have the radiator out then you may as well pull the motor and do a galvanized chassis as well.

Joking aside. I am currently deep into a refresh and the more I take apart the more I want to do. Ship fitters syndrome.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
97, coolant