'97 Serp Idler - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 26th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Monkeyboy

'97 Serp Idler

Hi All,

The idler pulley bearing on the '97 has been noisy at idle from time to time for a while now but became consistently noisy on Friday.

Contrary to (some) popular opinion, the idler wheel appeared to be the same as the wheel on our '94 3.9 Disco.

Since I had an extra idler pulley bearing on the shelf, I thought I'd pop the pulley off the 90 and take a closer look.

Sure enough, it's the same one as the Disco!

Now, the little bearing inside the pulley / wheel / whatever you want to call it is the culprit. Makes noise when I spin it and even wobbles a little.

The Disco was an easy fix, the retaining clip had "ears" that allowed removal of what you would expect to be a circlip with a pair of small flat screwdrivers.

No such luck with the 90 The ends of the retaining clip appear to be intentionally beveled to make removal difficult, but the sale of a complete new pulley quite simple.

After a few moments of head scratching, I occured to me that there was enough material exposed on the retainer to drill a pair of teeny (turns out 1/16th inch works well) holes .... simple to remove the retainer - now an official circlip - with your garden variety circlip pliers.

All is well, now all I need to do is restock my inventory with a bearing and a new serpentine belt ... also the same part as the '94 Disco.

KAA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

LOL, I had to do the same thing! Funny how we come to the same conclusions! I drilled it and replaced it with a snap ring too!
Old February 28th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Monkeyboy

Sheesh, and here I thought I was some kind of trend-setter not likely.

I was just so pleased that it actually came right out of the groove and didn't fight me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well I fought with it for a good hour before it dawned on me to drill some holes in it! And that was after dismantling the bearing inside of the pulley!
Old May 15th, 2009, 01:39 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Does anyone have any part numbers for this thing? I am glad mine wasnt water pump bearings.

Follow-up Post:

I see george has a bearing kit, has anyone rebuilt it? I just realized this was a SERP thread, this is for my Vbelt 95. Tried to rob the AC idler off the RRC but it wont work for some reason. Why cant Land Rover make anything easy?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
97, idle