Defender Source Forum banner

97 owners and arb users

Tags
2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  UpnOver 
#1 ·
My questions is what are the wires behind this plastic cover? I was going to install my arb switches there, but I unscrewed it saw a bunch of wires and on the white box says lucas on it? Anyone? Where a good place to install my three switches for my arb?

Thanks
David

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Can't help you on the wiring. With the SW, I switches occupying the space you have in mind. My intend was a 'clean' install so I used a Land Rover Headlight Switch for my lockers. Put it on the right side of the steering column. First position is for the rear locker, second position is for the rear and front. Mark

#3 ·
Oxcart13 said:
Can't help you on the wiring. With the SW, I switches occupying the space you have in mind. My intend was a 'clean' install so I used a Land Rover Headlight Switch for my lockers. Put it on the right side of the steering column. First position is for the rear locker, second position is for the rear and front. Mark
Hmmm, I like that.

G
#4 ·
Hey David, Its jp from over inVail. Met in Leadville last summer. Another option is to srap the clock. I put mine in that location. I had to widen the opening about a .25 in to one side and was able to put all 3 switches in the space. When I get home from South Carolina I will take a pic for you. Great spot easy to reach. JP

#5 ·
All cool ideas for the locker switches. We use the headlight switch trick if all the other locations are gone. Only down side is you can't wire it to get "only" the front locker if you want it. I know in my own 90 there have been a few times when just the front locker was what was needed to get through some weirdo spot or steep side hill.

The wiring is for optional equip. (like the SW has) and the box is the control unit for the interior lights (they slowing dim in a 97 D90 when they do go out).

#7 ·
Hey David, I have mine set up to switch independently with or without the ignition on. I can show you how mine is done and you can decide how you want yours. I'll see you in about three weeks.

#9 · (Edited)
jimmy salmon said:
i have 3 switches for mine, one for the compressor, one for the front and one for the back. my front wont switch on unless the rear is locked first. in my opinion the front shouldn't be used on its own. Dave i will take a pic of mine tonight

There are times when "front only" is the bomb. Yeah, it is stressful on the equipment, but if you pay attention it is well worth having the option to explore. The only reason not to set it up that way is if you want to help protect the equipment as per the ARB instructions.

Personally I'll never wire one of my own trucks for the "rear, then front" set up. I tell the lockers when to engage, not the other way round. Customers get the "safe" way unless they request otherwise.

Example:
Going up a steep hill in the snow and you gotta get turned around, narrowish trail...
Back the butt of the truck into the side of the trail, cut the wheel downhill. No diff lock, a little handbrake and engage the front locker (just the front)... Give it the boot and "presto" the front of the truck is now pointing down the hill.
No it isn't easy on the equipment, but no one ever called me easy on equipment.

#14 ·
Hey Dave, the way I did mine was using Range Rover Classic switches to the left of the steering wheel. They sell them at www.expeditionexchange.com/kit/ These are 3 position switches and are not cheap, but well worth it. I have mine set up like Jimmy, 1 for the compressor, 1 for the front and 1 for the rear. with a 3 position switch you could get away with 2 switches, 1 for the compressor and the other switch could be position 1 is off pos 2 rear only and pos 3 front and rear. I much prefer the independent front and rear as some times you only want the front on. You want the switches close at hand for easy and quick on and off. Hope this helps.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.