'97 odometer black-out - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 24th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Eric_S
Eric
'97 D-90 ST #1507

'97 odometer black-out

The odometer on my '97 finally died. The speedometer is still working fine it's the odometer that quite working. I did a search and see that this has happened to others. Is there a fix to get it working again? Is there any way to read the mileage from the ECU (I'd like to get my low mileage, <5K/year, discount off my insurance but it's only 10%)? It's not that big of an issue, more of an annoyance.
Thanks,
Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2006, 11:20 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Sadly the miles are not recorded in the ECU, just the speedo head itself.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old July 24th, 2006, 01:16 PM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

I dunno if you found my thread with pictures of the process of taking apart the speedo and reconnecting the display wires. Worked for a while, then intermittently, then (the last year or so) is is off most of the time. Randomly, sometimes in cold or rainy weather with the RPMs up, it will give me a reading again, and I note it down when I see it.

Nutz!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 26th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Eric_S
Eric
'97 D-90 ST #1507

Thanks Mike and Wicks.
Wicks. I did find your post. How difficult is it to remove the speedometer? I'm still not sure if itís worth the trouble.
Old July 26th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_S
Thanks Mike and Wicks.
Wicks. I did find your post. How difficult is it to remove the speedometer? I'm still not sure if itís worth the trouble.
You can remove the speedometer in under two minutes with a screwdriver. 4 screws removed and 3 electrical connectors unplugged will have the instrument cluster out. One more plug and a retaining ring will have the speedo out of the cluster.

When the time comes to sell your truck, it will have been worth the trouble. Without a working odometer, a prospective buyer will wonder how you kept up with the maintenance without knowing the mileage.

When I bought my truck the odometer display was starting to wink out. I replaced the speedo with a VDO Programmable. I had the speedo shop where I bought it program in the mileage, and swap the face and needle from the stock speedo.
Old July 26th, 2006, 01:46 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

You need to pull the steering wheel, too, don't you? Or at least, this makes getting the cluster out alot easier.

The toughest part is taking the speedometer itself apart (i.e, getting the bezel off without breaking anything.

I need to re-do mine soon. The first time, all I did was re-seat the flex connector. It worked for awhile, but it really needs a "proper" fix to last long-term.
Old July 26th, 2006, 02:36 PM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Definitely don't have to pull the wheel. This is the instrument cluster - would have to come out pretty easy wouldn't it?

Captain - sounds like you had a great thing done! Never heard of replacing the dial, etc. Do you have product specs on that VDO so I can try to find someone around LA to do it?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
97, ac