97 locked in park - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 29th, 2006, 12:26 PM
mountaintek
Tom Pritchard
1997 90

97 locked in park

I haven't run truck in about 2 months. It needed a jump, started right up and is now locked in park.
It was running fine when parked andno one has done any work on it in the mean time.
Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 29th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

We saw this on a friend's truck I think. If you look in the shifter there's a little linkage that gets stuck. IIRC there's a little panel on top of the shifter. Pry that open and jiggle the linkage under there and you should be good.
Old October 29th, 2006, 12:44 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Check your rear brake lights, also check the brake switch.
Advertisement

Old October 29th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Defender50th
James
'94 NAS AA Yellow

As Tony says, pop off the panel on top of the shifter and check in there. There is a little clip in there that holds it together and if that has come off you cant move it, i had it happen.

Best regards

James
Old October 31st, 2006, 02:17 AM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC
Check your rear brake lights, also check the brake switch.
Since '97's are automatic transmissions, if the brake light switch is broken, you won't be able to get it out of Park. Same thing if you have a dead battery.
Old November 1st, 2006, 10:05 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

The brake lights are the culprit if they are not lighting up when you step on the brakes. Pop the hood and near the firewall on the drivers side is a wire with a plug that comes from above the steering column. I took a paper clip and bypassed the plug. I pulled it apart and stuck the clip in both ends and the shifter worked. I reconnected it and everything was fine. It happened again a few months later. I cleaned the connection better this time and have been trouble free for some time now.
Old November 1st, 2006, 10:30 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillo90
We saw this on a friend's truck I think. If you look in the shifter there's a little linkage that gets stuck. IIRC there's a little panel on top of the shifter. Pry that open and jiggle the linkage under there and you should be good.
If you are thinking of my truck, I couldnt remove the key after putting it into Park and shutting it off, which the solution above fixed.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags