97 Idle Problem - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 8th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon
97 Idle Problem

I did a search and there doesn't seem to be any posts specifically addressing the problem in a 97. After a 225 mile drive home yesterday in driving rain I got in last night and in park and neutral it will idle around 1400 rpm and in drive around 1000-1100. Today I did a quick errand and it did the same for about 3 minutes then settled down but didnt on the way back. It sounds from reading that it could be any number of things. Should I look at the stepper motor first? IF so how much does one cost to replace?

Also the truck has a supercharger, could this be the issue?

I require your largest, cheapest, most alcoholic brewed beverage.
Old January 8th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW
I forget the reason why but if I recall correctly they are supposed to do that here and there. I know occasionally I will start mine (95) and it will idle at about 1500- 2000 rpms for about 3 minutes and then settle to idle. Again, I forget the reason why but i'm pretty sure it's normal if it is settling down to a normal idle in a few minutes. My brother has a 94 and his does the same thing. On the flipside, I don't know anything about the oddities of supercharged 90s. I have enough issues naturally aspirated...

Land Rovers are by far the best looking 4x4 on the back of a flatbed...
Old January 8th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90
Supercharged throws a wrinkle in it, but I'd start with the basics. Stepper motor: pull it out and clean it. Check for vacuum leaks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

97, idle