'97 High Idle - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 5th, 2012, 06:53 PM
trumphair
Martin
97-D90

'97 High Idle

So I'm going crazy trying to work out my high idle issues (1997) and figured I'd float it out there and see if anybody has any ideas.

Upon startup, I will idle anywhere from 1800-2400 RPM. The idle never drops down even after everything has warmed up. Now, if I drive it around for a while and shut it off, the next time I start it up it idles lower...somewhere in the 1200-1500 range. Even if it sits for a few hours, as long as I have driven it, the idle will be in the lower range.

If it sits for an extended period (i.e. several hours or overnight), I am back to super high idle where it wants to launch away at every stop sign and doesn't come down until I have shut down the engine and restarted.

I replaced the IACV with a generic to see if that would fix it, and it basically does the same thing. After driving around for a while like this and making clear it won't resolve on its own, I took it to the dealership to have them hook it up to the computer and reset the idle.

After working on it for a day, they called me back and said they can't get the IACV to go below 64 steps and I (of course) need to purchase the genuine part for some ridiculous amount. I can see that they also hacked open the Idle screw cap and were messing with that even though I thought with the '97s everything was done on the computer.

Anyway, just wanting to get thoughts. Both my old stock IACV and the new aftermarket one are basically behaving in the same way. I even swapped them in and out and compared the distance the motor was travelling and it was the same so I'm thinking it has nothing to do with genuine or aftermarket and there is something else at play here.

------ Follow up post added October 5th, 2012 05:54 PM ------

I could not find any vacuum leaks. Dealership said they checked as well and did not find any.

------ Follow up post added October 5th, 2012 05:55 PM ------

Stepper Motor Part was standard AC151
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2012, 02:52 PM
trumphair
Martin
97-D90

Bump.
Old October 8th, 2012, 03:14 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Humm, you can set base idle on a GEMS truck, but it should not need adjustment in the ordinary course. I would guess that the temp sensor is reading a bad number causing the high idle since you already replaced your IACV aka stepper motor.

Did I mention I hate GEMS?
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2012, 03:31 PM
trumphair
Martin
97-D90

Yeah I'm able to hook up via the OBDII port and read/record some basic data. The coolant temps data looks normal. Same for the MAF flow rate and abs throttle position. Everything that I have been able to pull up looks legit.

It is pretty frustrating. I'm guessing the service tech threw up his hands too and used the genuine vs. generic IACV as an out.

Could the ECU be bad? I'm stretching here but really running out of other things to check.
Old October 8th, 2012, 03:41 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumphair View Post

Could the ECU be bad? I'm stretching here but really running out of other things to check.
Possible. The only other things I can think of is that you have some sort of loss of electrical power or short causing the ECU to reset (when you reset them they seem to go into high idle mode) or there is some issue with the ECU where it has an odd sensor reading causing the high idle.

Does the idle change when you put it in drive from park?

Do you have gas in the oil indicating leaking injectors?

I am grasping at straws here.
Old October 17th, 2012, 12:27 PM
trumphair
Martin
97-D90

Well after combing through literally everything I could think of, I decided to order a Faultmate MSV2 so, among other things, I could reset the adaptive values myself and check the stepper motor values. Just hooked it up today, pressed the reset all button, and it IMMEDIATELY idled perfectly at 700 RPM.

I mean, I find it hard to believe that a Land Rover service tech would be so incompetent as to have not properly reset the adaptive values, but apparently that is the case. Either that or they were trying to rob me for the $$$ genuine part stepper motor. Either way it reflects pretty poorly on them. If you are going to charge the ridiculous hourly labor rate they charge, you should f'ing know what you're doing.

Anyway, happy it's fixed and running better than it ever has.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
97, idle