97 Gas pedal questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 5th, 2009, 12:25 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
97 Gas pedal questions

On my 97 auto ST, when I give it full throttle it gets to a certain point on the gas pedal and then it feels like a button is pushed under the pedal just before it hits the floor and it will downshift quickly.

On the 97 auto SW, I can give it full pedal and there is no feeling of anything, it just hits the floor and most of the time does not down shift. Can any other 97 owners let me know if they feel this in the accelerator, and if they have a ST or SW?

I really wish that the SW did this as well. Not sure if something is broken or what.

97 D90 SW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

You need to adjust the transmission kickdown cable and or the throttle cable in the SW.
Old May 5th, 2009, 04:52 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Thanks! Any guidance on how to do it?

97 D90 SW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2009, 05:19 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I don't think I have mine perfect, but this is what I was told to do. Please let me know if this is incorrect.

If you look at where the throttle cable connects to the intake area, you'll see a second cable that should run down to the transmission. That's the kickdown cable. When you depress the gas pedal a certain amount that cable starts to pull on the transmission to tell it you want to get up and go and it downshifts (instead of electronically like newer vehicles).

The proper adjustment afaik is to loosen the adjuster and manually pull on the cable and release. You should hear it click at the transmission at the end of the travel when you release (no slack position). If you don't hear it click then it's too tight. Loosen until you hear the click and then tighten to the point when you don't hear the click ans that is supposed to be set correctly.

In your case it sounds like it needs tightening but I'd at least test if you can hear the click when you start, and count the turns you make as you adjust it, so you can back out of it if you don't like it.

hth
charles

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
97, gas