97 defender gasket problems - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 10th, 2012, 10:06 PM
steven n
1997 D-90 ST, AA Yellow
97 defender gasket problems

my 97 (56k miles) went in for routine oil change today (once a year since it doesnt get driven often) and this is the list i was handed of seals that need replacing:

manifold gasket
oil pan
front crank seal
power steering return

now i know my truck has been weeping for years (i have the garage floor to prove it) but it has been driving fantastic as always...i add a little oil now and again but nothing major... i do trust my repair guys as they have been helping me on all of my rovers for years... my question is, which of these items should i do immediately and what could i hold off on for the time being? any input appreciated..thanks much

Old January 11th, 2012, 01:48 AM
Viton Johnnson
Smart 4x4
I'd 1st do a real good de-grease /oil clean up job with a powerful de-greaser and power washer if you have one. Plan on water getting where you don't want it, so it may not start after you clean it. park the vehicle facing south so the sun can help to dry it out after a thorough washing. Drive it and discover which leak is the worst & fix it first. All the gaskets listed may not be leaking as oil runs down hill.

Power steering return, might just try tightening up the hose clamps.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

97, gas, gaskets, problems, seals