97 Defender 90 Custom Centre Console - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 19th, 2016, 10:22 AM
poonstar
Vincent
1997 Defender 90

97 Defender 90 Custom Centre Console

After finally pulling the trigger and picking up my 90, it was time to add my personal touch along with some audio features because listening to road noise and rocks hit the underside was getting old. My 90 didn't come with a stereo but it had this aftermarket centre dash piece that was hacked into place but since I want to restore to the original dash I needed to look for other ways to install a nice 7" LCD screen, amp, sub and speakers.

So I decided to rip out my centre console and make my own...it is still a work in progress and I came up with this idea at the diner over breakfast on a greasy napkin and put it together that afternoon. Your thoughts are appreciated and any ideas would help!

My centre console will hold the stereo head unit, 5 channel amp and includes a sealed sub enclosure. I have spray sealed the console to protect from moisture and then get upholstered to match the original interior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2016, 12:06 PM
TNRoverGuy
Chris H.
'97 NAS D90 ST

Registry
Looks like solid work. You mentioned your truck didn't come with a stereo. Do you have a picture of what was in place when you got it?
Old August 19th, 2016, 02:06 PM
poonstar
Vincent
1997 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRoverGuy View Post
Looks like solid work. You mentioned your truck didn't come with a stereo. Do you have a picture of what was in place when you got it?

The centre of the dash had an aftermarket Mud UK double din piece that was installed but nothing was installed to the surface besides the rear wider switch. When I took it off, the lower dash was cut apart and the vent openings are behind it with some lose wires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2016, 02:27 PM
doktorno
Chris deZ.
1995 Defender SW

Registry
What size subwoofer? Looks like a large air volume.
Old August 19th, 2016, 10:03 PM
poonstar
Vincent
1997 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by doktorno View Post
What size subwoofer? Looks like a large air volume.
The seal portion of the sub enclosure almost 0.7 cubic ft. I am running a JL 10" TW3 shallow depth dual voice coil sub woofer.
Old August 20th, 2016, 07:49 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by poonstar View Post
The seal portion of the sub enclosure almost 0.7 cubic ft. I am running a JL 10" TW3 shallow depth dual voice coil sub woofer.
Probably going to be too much sub unless you really love to pump da bass. I have a 10" shallow depth on my rear tailgate, and it's fine when the top is off in the summer but with the top on in the Winter it's a bit much in the enclosed space. Too late now of course but just my 2 cents.
Old August 20th, 2016, 08:51 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Where are you going to mount the shifter? ...or is this truck a 5-speed?

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old August 20th, 2016, 10:09 AM
poonstar
Vincent
1997 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
Where are you going to mount the shifter? ...or is this truck a 5-speed?

The console is between the seats and doesn't interfere with the standard 5 spd shifter position.

------ Follow up post added August 20th, 2016 09:13 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Probably going to be too much sub unless you really love to pump da bass. I have a 10" shallow depth on my rear tailgate, and it's fine when the top is off in the summer but with the top on in the Winter it's a bit much in the enclosed space. Too late now of course but just my 2 cents.
It's all about dat BASS... Thanks for your feedback!

But in all honestly I was prepared for that and we have templates ready for a 8" shallow mount for that reason. In a super perfect world, how awesome would it be if I could have a quick detach and swap consoles from 8" to 10" back and forth...one can only day dream
Old August 20th, 2016, 10:19 AM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Quote:
I have an 8" focal on my rear door and it's perfect... Quick enough to catch the snares and deep enough for real world base. If you want to shake the car next to you though it won't.
Old August 20th, 2016, 10:59 AM
poonstar
Vincent
1997 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadeus View Post
I have an 8" focal on my rear door and it's perfect... Quick enough to catch the snares and deep enough for real world base. If you want to shake the car next to you though it won't.
Are you guys using a custom rear door card for your 8" sub enclosure? Local stereo shop suggested two 8" subs in a sealed enclosure but space was a concern so I went with a small sealed 10"

Any pics?
Old August 20th, 2016, 11:12 AM
doktorno
Chris deZ.
1995 Defender SW

Registry
I have had some experience with the TW3/TW5 drivers, and have found them to be power hungry and requiring a parametric EQ to take out their natural resonance frequency. Installations using the "standard" subwoofer design like the 10W3v3 have had a sound that I found more satisfying. If you have the depth, I might suggest looking into 10W3v3. Your ears may vary.

But damn I like the look of your center console.
Old August 20th, 2016, 11:18 AM
poonstar
Vincent
1997 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by doktorno View Post
I have had some experience with the TW3/TW5 drivers, and have found them to be power hungry and requiring a parametric EQ to take out their natural resonance frequency. Installations using the "standard" subwoofer design like the 10W3v3 have had a sound that I found more satisfying. If you have the depth, I might suggest looking into 10W3v3. Your ears may vary.

But damn I like the look of your center console.
Thank you for your feedback. The head unit has a built in 13 band EQ and I was thinking about adding a Audison bit one as well but won't know until I plug it all in and wire it up Monday.
Old August 20th, 2016, 12:00 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 D90, 88 RRC

10" is just fine, IMHO. but I like the bass. I am running an 8" and it is fine--but there are some super deep basses in some of my music that I could always use just a little bit more... (ie How do you want it/2Pac or Hypnotize/BIG).
Old August 20th, 2016, 12:04 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by poonstar View Post
Are you guys using a custom rear door card for your 8" sub enclosure? Local stereo shop suggested two 8" subs in a sealed enclosure but space was a concern so I went with a small sealed 10"

Any pics?
Yes here's a pic of mine. All in with 10" sub, sub box, and rhinolining it's under 25 lbs which was important to me.

Old August 20th, 2016, 12:05 PM
poonstar
Vincent
1997 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
10" is just fine, IMHO. but I like the bass. I am running an 8" and it is fine--but there are some super deep basses in some of my music that I could always use just a little bit more... (ie How do you want it/2Pac or Hypnotize/BIG).
Perfect! Two of my favourite songs

Where did you mount your all your stereo gear?

------ Follow up post added August 20th, 2016 11:06 AM ------

Quote:
Yes here's a pic of mine. All in with 10" sub, sub box, and rhinolining it's under 25 lbs which was important to me.

Looks super clean and tidy. Do you run a soft top all the time? Or do you run a hard top with seats too?
Old August 20th, 2016, 12:18 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
No top almost always, but yeah otherwise just a soft top which really amplifies the bass. Here are some pics with the seat in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2668958486.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	422.9 KB
ID:	156023   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3583999835.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	455.3 KB
ID:	156025  

Name:	image-3565981329.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	432.8 KB
ID:	156026  
Old August 21st, 2016, 02:30 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Here is a pic of mine
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3592920656.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	472.6 KB
ID:	156079  
Old August 21st, 2016, 10:51 PM
poonstar
Vincent
1997 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadeus View Post
Here is a pic of mine
What type of enclosure is that sub mounted in?
Old August 22nd, 2016, 11:35 PM
poonstar
Vincent
1997 Defender 90

Test fit and pre wire completed after spending a day messing around. Everything works great except I need to find another location for my front channel speakers. Underside of the dash doesn't have enough space even with 1" spacers. So it will be door panels or somewhere else.

Even with just the rears and sub it sounds fantastic. Sub woofer in a sealed enclosure is solid and tight sounding. Really happy with the results, just need to take it apart and have the console wrapped.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, 97, console, defender, defender 90