97 D90 ST Optima Yellow Top Dead....Costco battery? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 13th, 2014, 12:01 PM
D904evr
NAS 93 110
NAS 97 D90 ST Black

Question 97 D90 ST Optima Yellow Top Dead....Costco battery?

My defender spent the last couple of months parked in the garage for winter. It is starting to warm up a little with no snow in sight and I went to start it up and nothing, nada. I jumped the battery and it worked for the day but let it sit overnight and it will not start again. Is the battery toast? It was bought new in Sept 2010 the defender sits in the garage alot and gets very little action. What do you guys think?

I talked to a local LR mechanic and he said that the yellow tops are junk and to just get a new Costco battery?
I did not even know they offered one. Does anyone have any thoughts on what the best battery to get. If it helps it sits most of the time but does get driven often during spring and summer and early fall.

What is the best (biggest size) to get for the D90 for longevity and long life?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2014, 12:10 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Based on the fact that the Opltima's are gel filled, I get that that is why we all like them right. Well I think some others are making gel batteries out there now. I purchased a gel celled battery from Autozone(I think it was a house brand one) and it has actually performed very well. I replaced an optima that had died, and it also served me well, but I was a bit doubtful of how long it lasted me. That said, it was not my daily driver for a while and was exposed to colder winters and hot summers of Texas that is hard on batteries.
Old February 13th, 2014, 12:16 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Well no matter what you battery you buy, as opinions vary everyone here will pretty much agree that if it's sitting most days it should be on a battery tender. but yeah most likely it's shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2014, 12:18 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Optimas are not gel filled. They are AGM "Absorbed Glass Mat". There are lots of other batteries that are AGM.

Before giving up on the battery, get it charged with a quality multi-stage charger and see if it recovers.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 13th, 2014, 12:26 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Get to your locak autoparts store, they can test your battery and your alternator... Could be either.

Big debates about Optima, but I have been running my current set since 2006.

Other also like
Odyssey
Sears Diehard Platinum, made by Odyssey
Interstate.

If you will only use one, I suggest the Sears Diehard Platinum.

Also, get a battery tender to use when you store your truck... It helps, and they all have quick disconnect connections now.

Old February 15th, 2014, 03:01 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

me too

Ha! my current yellow top is pre 2006 like yours. I have thought about getting a smaller battery (which we know when they get smaller they get pricier) so I can eck out so more storage space in the battery compartment.

As far as Costco batteries go I had good luck running them in 240 Volvos for a number of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
Get to your locak autoparts store, they can test your battery and your alternator... Could be either.

Big debates about Optima, but I have been running my current set since 2006.

Other also like
Odyssey
Interstate.

Also, get a battery tender to use when you store your truck... It helps, and they all have quick disconnect connections now.
Old February 15th, 2014, 09:42 AM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
Everyone is right. Put a tender on there. Easy installation and it's a headache reliever
Old February 15th, 2014, 09:45 AM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Whatever battery you decide on.... put it on a trickle charger if it is going to sit. Keeps the battery charged and pro-longs battery life.

I am running Sears Diehard Platinum batteries and CTEK Multi US 3300 battery charger.

http://smartercharger.com/
Old February 15th, 2014, 01:20 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I use the blue marine batteries at Costco and they work great for D90. I like the fact it also has extra posts for winch / accessories. The only problem is the CEO of Costco is a gigantic Obama lover so I'm vexed about giving Costco my money but they do have an awesome return policy so I'll probably still give him my money. SOB.

Robert Deniro
Old February 15th, 2014, 11:43 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Dude. If supporting an Obama supporter gets your dander up, then spend your cash on an interstate battery. That CEO is connected to an ultra conservative PAC group.
Old February 16th, 2014, 12:08 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Oh great politics is like batteries.

One positive one negative and both are completely terminal for the rest of us.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old February 16th, 2014, 01:52 AM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
Another vote for the CTEK chargers. We have 3 cars that rarely get driven and sit on these chargers throughout the year...The batterys are always in great shape since the CTEK's will take the charge up and down, like normal use, and will also desulfinate the battery too. Great chargers!
Nice to know about Interstate Battery's CEO...I like to support the home team
Old February 16th, 2014, 02:36 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
Interstate.

This is no longer true. The new PM1s are quite different from the Odysseys now. I've heard a few reports that the reliability has gone way down. I had great luck with my first PM1 in 2007 but when I bought a battery for my 110 in 2013, there was only one choice: Odyssey PC2150. Like I said in the other thread, I've yet to hear about anyone killing a PC2150 in the field. Not one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
/
Old February 16th, 2014, 11:39 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

now now

you live in the liberal republic of CA where most or your tax dollars go to programs to fund hight speed commuter rails that no one will use and where they keep voting ultra liberals that sit on their duffs in Sacramento and can't pass a budget but are getting big CALPER's pensions - So somewhere beneath that conservative exterior your living the CA dream! of course your also hiding your gun collections as well under your mattress

You could always bug out. Like me and move! Of course I love the SoCal weather and San Diego folks which I am going to miss but I am moving as it is just too damn exepensive to funds the the fat politicians who will be the only ones using that stupid train. Alright enough of CA politics.

I have heard great things about the blue tops your running as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
I use the blue marine batteries at Costco and they work great for D90. I like the fact it also has extra posts for winch / accessories. The only problem is the CEO of Costco is a gigantic Obama lover so I'm vexed about giving Costco my money but they do have an awesome return policy so I'll probably still give him my money. SOB.
Old February 18th, 2014, 07:09 AM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
i'm all for switching to the die hard plats, nice battery. has anyone tried any of the wal-mart batteries? i put a wal-mart battery in my 1960 MGA on the recommendation of fellow enthusiasts (wm just had the right size battery), got rid of the original twin battery setup, and bingo, starts stronger than ever and runs great.

wm is perfect for you conservatives, with all of their right wing superpac donations and all. oh wait a minute, but isn't supporting wm also supporting china and cheap labor and the loss of American jobs and undercutting American based businesses? oh wait a minute, but isn't maximizing shareholder return one of the goals of a corporation? omg, the tautology of it all...
Old February 18th, 2014, 08:18 AM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Optima's are not "Junk"

Your bad for letting it sit for 2 months not on a charger.

Try this to recover it before buying a new one:

You could also try PMing OptimaJim or Optima Bill who are members here and work for Optima.

Dave

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old February 18th, 2014, 11:44 AM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Also, do not have your battery tested at an auto parts store...most likely them have no idea what they are doing. Optima's website listed vendors how can so this or take it to your local Interstate Battery location. http://www.interstatebatteries.com/c...ry_testing.asp And for the person who recommended interstate over optima...they are the same thing..rebadged to the point that the interstate it had even had an optima branded handle.

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old February 18th, 2014, 12:02 PM
D904evr
NAS 93 110
NAS 97 D90 ST Black

Yellow Top Part number?

Does anyone know what the current part number is for the correct size for a 97 D90 on an Optima Yellow top replacement battery? The part number I have does not match ANY of the current offerings. I want to be sure to get the correct one. Much appreciated.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, 97, 97 d90, battery, d90, top