97 D90 pinging - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 30th, 2016, 06:29 PM
ajtbussen
A J Bussen
1997 D-90 ST

97 D90 pinging

For a while my 97 D90 has been pinging after start up. Seems to go away after it warms up. Also been experiencing some engine overheating. Not much but temps running hotter than normal.
Advertisement

Old June 30th, 2016, 06:35 PM
One Ten
Sam
1994 NAS SW

Pinging? Rover V8's do make some lifter/rocker arm cackle. That's fairly normal. Maybe your hydraulic lifters aren't holding pressure any more. Does it go away within the first minute after you start it?

If you're running hot the first thing I would check is your fan clutch.
Old June 30th, 2016, 06:41 PM
ajtbussen
A J Bussen
1997 D-90 ST

97 D90 pinging

As it turns out the truck would not start the other day. Tracked down problem to a bad ground wire at the fuel pump. Yep had to drop the tank. Wire was broken at the plug on the harness. This wire had seen lots of heat. It was very stiff and brittle. Not only was the insulation hard but the copper wire inside was dark and crumbling. Replaced two feet of the wire and used a new pin on the connector and it runs now. Better than in a long time. Almost peppy. I believe the fuel pump was running at a low voltage reducing my fuel pressure and giving me poor performance. In addition it may have caused a lean fuel mixture giving me my ping and overheating.
Sounds plausible?

AJ

------ Follow up post added June 30th, 2016 05:46 PM ------

I've had this truck since new and definitely was a ping not lifter noise. Everything else in cooling system has been checked out and is normal.
Advertisement

Old June 30th, 2016, 06:49 PM
One Ten
Sam
1994 NAS SW

If your getting a loud cackle that only happens on a cold start then goes away in less than a minute I would still say you need lifters, unless that problem went away with what you did, then I guess it was something else. Hard to say without actually hearing it.
Old July 1st, 2016, 08:06 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
I started adding an additive to my fuel about a year ago. Just simple Lucas stuff. My starts are quicker and the idling is smoother. I was starting to get some stumbling on starts which was annoying because a 100 different things can cause that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 1st, 2016, 08:36 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
I started adding an additive to my fuel about a year ago. Just simple Lucas stuff. My starts are quicker and the idling is smoother. I was starting to get some stumbling on starts which was annoying because a 100 different things can cause that.
yeah but one thing is pretty common and thus the most likely culprit.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old July 1st, 2016, 11:32 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajtbussen View Post
As it turns out the truck would not start the other day. Tracked down problem to a bad ground wire at the fuel pump. Yep had to drop the tank. Wire was broken at the plug on the harness. This wire had seen lots of heat. It was very stiff and brittle. Not only was the insulation hard but the copper wire inside was dark and crumbling. Replaced two feet of the wire and used a new pin on the connector and it runs now. Better than in a long time. Almost peppy. I believe the fuel pump was running at a low voltage reducing my fuel pressure and giving me poor performance. In addition it may have caused a lean fuel mixture giving me my ping and overheating.
Sounds plausible?

AJ

------ Follow up post added June 30th, 2016 05:46 PM ------

I've had this truck since new and definitely was a ping not lifter noise. Everything else in cooling system has been checked out and is normal.
be ready to replace the pump. If its been starving for ground, its life expectancy isn't great.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 7th, 2016, 11:48 PM
ajtbussen
A J Bussen
1997 D-90 ST

97 D90 pinging

Replaced the pump last year. It's all coming together. Like I said the truck is running better than in a long time. Should have have checked fuel pressure long ago. On to other things. RUST.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, 97, 97 d90, d90