Defender Source Forum banner

97 D90 maxing out at ~70mph??

Tags
90 97 97 d90 d90
2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  rover4x4 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm currently on a cross-country trip, bringing my 97 D90 softop from California back to Chicago (long but good story). Anyway, yesterday on the highway, I started noticing that sometimes, my D90 would "max out" at about 70-75 mph, no matter how much harder I press on the gas pedal. It's like the gas pedal/fuel pump doesn't "engage" anymore (sorry, I'm not auto mechanically inclined, so I'm using layman's terms). It would do this for a while, and then it be back to normal, where it goes past 75mph no problem when u press the gas pedal harder. It's happened about 3-4 times on the 7 hr trip yesterday. This is just going down I-15, with no traffic.

This is bothersome to me. Has anyone else experience this problem with their D90's? Any ideas what could be the problem? Should I be worried?? I just the entire car checked out before I left on this trip, and everything supposedly was fine.

I'd appreciate any and all feedback.

Thanks!
Paul

#4 ·
maybe that is just what the computer is telling it. I am almost certain they cut out at 84-90 mph. Could be something electrnically related? I hate to say but maybe the vehicle speed sensor or the sending unit for the speedometer, just some ideas. I am sure some others will chime in at some point..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.