97 D90 fuel relay/wiring issue - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 4th, 2014, 06:27 PM
roverrees
David Rees
97 NAS D90 SW

97 D90 fuel relay/wiring issue

Had an issue a couple of months ago where my 97 D90 would have a clicking sound coming from down by the passenger foot well when I would try to start the truck every once in a while. When the click sounded the truck would not start. This would generally stop when I would pull the key out and put it back in the ignition. Then about a month ago the truck would not start it would only crank. I could not hear the fuel pump kick on so I changed out the relay on the passenger side foot well and it seems to fix the problem for a couple of days. Both times the truck wouldnít start were at my house. Lucky me! I again changed the relay but this time it did not solve my problem. I dropped the tank and check the pump and it works with trying it from an outside power source. I then looked at the fuel pump multifunction relay under the hood. It was attached using a zip tie so I though this may be the culprit. I ordered a new replacement and it did not solve the problem. This last weekend I check the pump again and it works with an outside power source. Of the four wires on the connection piece the two wires that I assume are for the fuel level gage show power (5.4) . The two wires for the pump show no power on my multimeter?
I have read so many of the forum threads and it seems like it should be simple but I just canít figure it out. Is there another relay/fuse that Iím not thinking of, could it be the crankshaft position sensor, bad wire or bad ground? Again the truck ran fine until I turned it off and went to restart it. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2014, 12:37 PM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

You're sure that the relay is getting the signal from the ignition switch that it's supposed to be engaged?

Hmmm...where's that 97 MY Defender ETM when you need one...

https://www.google.com/search?q=defe...w=1213&bih=764

Old September 5th, 2014, 01:00 PM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
It could possibly have been both the relay and crank sensor. From what little you're describing, I would change out the crank sensor.

Did you do any work lately to your ignition switch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2014, 04:57 PM
roverrees
David Rees
97 NAS D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfrozenCaveman View Post
You're sure that the relay is getting the signal from the ignition switch that it's supposed to be engaged?

Hmmm...where's that 97 MY Defender ETM when you need one...

https://www.google.com/search?q=defe...w=1213&bih=764

Good point I will check again tonight. Everything else appears to be working when I turn the key to the position 2 and hear the 2 beeps.

------ Follow up post added September 5th, 2014 04:00 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rankar View Post
It could possibly have been both the relay and crank sensor. From what little you're describing, I would change out the crank sensor.

Did you do any work lately to your ignition switch?
No I have not done anything with the ignition switch and it appears to be working correctly from what I see with the other items that come alive when I turn the key. I guess I should look into the crank sensor.
Old September 7th, 2014, 09:15 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Also double check the grounds
Old December 10th, 2014, 09:57 PM
roverrees
David Rees
97 NAS D90 SW

Update

Replaced the crank position sensor and replaced some wires that appeared to be loose or cut in early october. This got the truck running again. Truck has been running well but I have still have had the fuel pump relay "clicking issue" at start up a couple of time where it would not allow to the truck to start (fuel pump would not turn on to prime) or it just wouldn't crank at all. Letting the truck sit, removing and reinstalling relays and then magically it starts. Luckily I have been in my drive way two of the times and at the local gas station the other.

Im wondering if the ignition switch may be the part giving me trouble? My fuel pump relay has always been a green relay in my truck for as long as I have owned it. Should I switch to a silver relay?

Any one else have the clicking fuel pump relay issue that comes and goes?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, 97, 97 d90, d90, fuel, relay, wiring