'97 D90 center console disaster - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 14th, 2010, 10:18 AM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
'97 D90 center console disaster

Mine is shot to hell. Been picking up small parts here and there (mostly from RDS and ebay) for an eventual full rebuild. Also talked with George and he referred me to Ashcroft transmissions in the UK, which offers a total (fiberglass) replacement. Mike from ECR said essentially that they aren't super-high quality (this was back in 2006) but would do in a pinch. So, a few questions:

1. Has anyone installed this Ashcroft reproduction?
2. Any clue on whether any U.S. company sells them (NLA at RDS and about 250 bucks to ship them to the U.S.)?
3. Any clue on where I could find OEM or nicely used console parts (lid, cubby, etc.)?

I assume there aren't a lot of good answers to this problem. Thanks for any help anyone can give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry

Check with Mike McCollum at Land Rover West Chester PA.....maybe he can find you one.
Old January 14th, 2010, 11:38 AM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

Mine is in the same boat and cannot fathom spending that type of money for another plastic one.

How hard would it be to fab up a metal one? Anyone tried it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2010, 11:53 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I would love to get my hands on an unmolested one. In my newbie d-90 ownership days, I cut holes with reckless abandon for huge carling switches in mine for that missle command feel.

Would love to go back to a clean slate now.
Old January 14th, 2010, 12:29 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand View Post
I would love to get my hands on an unmolested one. In my newbie d-90 ownership days, I cut holes with reckless abandon for huge carling switches in mine for that missle command feel.

Would love to go back to a clean slate now.
My 5-yo walks all over mine. And the PO must have taken a belt sander to it at one time or another. There's probably a business opportunity here somewhere - maybe at a $1,000 pricepoint. Not much higher, though.

If I don't get anywhere with another source, I may have the aftermarket version imported. Will probably be around 475 shipped.

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/part_56.html
Old January 14th, 2010, 12:34 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

The fiberglass ones can look nice if you spend time to get everything just right. This 110 has the Ashcroft unit:

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/automaticconversion.html

We looked into having them made, but too costly per unit for the small number you'd ever sell.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old January 14th, 2010, 12:56 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR View Post
The fiberglass ones can look nice if you spend time to get everything just right. This 110 has the Ashcroft unit:

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/automaticconversion.html

We looked into having them made, but too costly per unit for the small number you'd ever sell.
That looks pretty good. Is it just that material isn't durable or feels/appears odd?
Old January 14th, 2010, 01:05 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOB View Post
That looks pretty good. Is it just that material isn't durable or feels/appears odd?
Its fine for what it is: a low cost alternative to the NLA part. I'm not bad mouthing it at all, don't get me wrong. We use them when we need to, but just don't expect the fit and finish of the original plastic piece. The glass parts aren't flexible and such. It is just different, not saying it is bad. I think for the price it is just fine.
I was fitting a lid to a cubby box on one once and it slipped out of my hand as I exited the truck. It hit the floor and broke into about 5 pieces. Such is the nature of fiberglass.
It is what it is.

Old January 14th, 2010, 03:11 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Its fine for what it is: a low cost alternative to the NLA part. I'm not bad mouthing it at all, don't get me wrong. We use them when we need to, but just don't expect the fit and finish of the original plastic piece. The glass parts aren't flexible and such. It is just different, not saying it is bad. I think for the price it is just fine.
I was fitting a lid to a cubby box on one once and it slipped out of my hand as I exited the truck. It hit the floor and broke into about 5 pieces. Such is the nature of fiberglass.
It is what it is.
Thanks. It may be a good solution for me at the approx. $775 price. And if it gets destroyed by the kids over the next few years, then so be it.
Old January 30th, 2010, 03:26 PM
motap
neal

Did you find a place to get this in the US, or order directly from Ashcroft?
Old January 30th, 2010, 03:43 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by motap View Post
Did you find a place to get this in the US, or order directly from Ashcroft?
Ashcroft only, so far. But I didn't mail them and ask if they had a U.S. retailer.
Old January 30th, 2010, 04:00 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
I bought mine directly from Ashcroft with no issues. I thought it looked and worked pretty well.
Old January 30th, 2010, 04:14 PM
motap
neal

did it come with all the necessary hardware / brackets to install?

I know you need to purchase the hi/lo and shifter brackets separately...but beyond that?
Old January 30th, 2010, 04:29 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
to be honest I dont remember but i remember having to buy the gaitors. This was for an auto conversion in my 110 so im not sure if that makes a difference re brackets etc but I was pleased with the console itself.
Old July 9th, 2010, 09:53 AM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
I bought mine directly from Ashcroft with no issues. I thought it looked and worked pretty well.
FYI, for anyone interested in buying one of the Ashcroft consoles, I asked if I could just buy the lid (mine is broken) and the response was:
"Sorry but I don't think our lids will fit the factory ones"

So, it's an all or nothing scenario - but worth pointing out. Guessing maybe it's the layout of the hinges? Who knows.
Old July 9th, 2010, 08:01 PM
david_jackson
Dave Jackson
97 Defender 90 SW

The center console in my '97 is cracked as well, and I'm interested in replacing it. Metal would be great; something strong enough to stand on would be great too.
Old July 13th, 2010, 07:22 AM
ashtrans
Dave Ashcroft

Hi All,

these consoles are now low pressure injection moulded using a thermo setting polymer which gives a better finish and is much more durable than the older glass fibre ones, they also now come assembled and ready to fit,

Mike, I think in 2006 the glass ones came in kit form and were quite time cunsuming to assemble.

We use a different hinge, thats why I don't know if our lid will fit the stock box.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 13th, 2010, 08:02 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
OT kickdown cable question

Quote:
Mike, would you mind sharing any details about what is needed to get the kick down to work properly on a conversion? My truck was converted to an auto by the PO on a budget and I have never been happy with the way the kickdown is working.

"The 5 speed V8 NAS Defenders throttle linkage is missing key parts that make the automatic kick down work properly. The ECR conversions install all the correct factory bits so that everything works 100% as it should."

thanks,
charles
Old July 13th, 2010, 08:28 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

You can pull the needed linkage bits off an old RRC and put them on your 90, then you adjust the kick-down cable to be the way you want it. We start with about a 1/8" gap to the crimp and then drive the truck to get the perfect setting.

Dave/Ashcroft:
Good to know on the new consoles. I'll order one to try on our next conversion. Anything would be better than trying to hunt down originals.

Old July 13th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
FWIW I have one of these Ashcroft consoles now that I'm using in a truck I'm putting together for a customer. The console fits together nicely and has a nicer feel to it. I sourced it through Stephen Peters @ Safari Rover as he had several in stock.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, 97, 97 d90, console, d90