97 arles blue d90 SW thinking about selling - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 24th, 2006, 12:33 PM
steved90
steven melnyk

97 arles blue d90 SW thinking about selling

hi all i am curious if there is any interested on this board in buying my 97 arles blue d90 SW with 43000 miles on it? it is the last badged on in 97. (not including the 90 LE's)
i would like to get $40,000 it is not complete yet, but will be put back together soon. i bought it and it had some light damage on the drivers side which has been repaired, pretty easy fix. it has a full basket and ladder and is very solid. i have had it for about 2 years (and have only put 200 miles on it, sad i know) and have been finishing it and i would like to sell it (i think?) i have some college loans to pay off and would like to buy an older series for just driving up north, it is a lot more truck than i need. let me know if any of you are interested in it. might be a month or two till it is totally bolted back together, i just don't have the time for it anymore at this point in my life. i am posting on the "looking for help" cuase i am still on the fence about it.

thanks
steved90
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 25th, 2006, 05:56 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

$40,000! WOW it must be immaculate. Oh, wait, did I understand you right? Its in pieces right now. Sorry, but $40,000 seems like a lot.
Old July 25th, 2006, 06:14 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

And 200 over two years. That's gotta be good for any LR.

You sure you haven't been talking to Copley Motor Cars?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 25th, 2006, 08:48 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
good luck.
Old July 25th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Did they make any Arles in 97? Starting to smell a little fishy.
Old July 25th, 2006, 09:09 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Vick
Did they make any Arles in 97? Starting to smell a little fishy.
They did. There's a chart on this page: http://www.eastcoastrover.com/INFOD90.html
Old July 25th, 2006, 09:10 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Wha,?! The most desirable of all colors. Of course they did. I happen to have one.

You know, Mine's fully assembled, 105K miles, may need a head gasket. I can take $30K.
Old July 25th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

I'll be. Learn something new every day.
Old July 26th, 2006, 09:00 AM
steved90
steven melnyk

WOW GUYS!! i have been on this board for over two years!!

thanks for the support!!
i have contributed to a lot of other projects, and sold some parts on here that i didn't need. well that is what i am asking (asking) and it is in awsome shape! in parts? not really putting the fender and all the new roll cage and ladder and basket and brush bar that has all been repowder coated along with other things, THANKS AGAIN GUYS FOR YOUR SUPPORT!! boy oh boy never thought i would get that kind of reaction!! there was someone else on here the other day selling a rig for 39,500... didn't hear any of you bitch$$ to him???

thanks steved90

Follow-up Post:

by the way the 200 miles is from me starting it up twice a week and driving around my neighborhood. it is stared and driven at least twice a week so i would think that is good for the d. if you are not interested in buying it or helping me find an old series please don't bother posting. i thought this board was here to as a community?
Old July 26th, 2006, 09:56 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
thats just a lot of money for that milage. maybe if it had 10-15k.
Old July 26th, 2006, 10:02 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

$40K for a '97 Arles SW with 43K on it, is not a unreachable price especially on like autotrader.com or something. I just wouldnt play up the fact that you have it all apart.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old July 26th, 2006, 10:09 AM
steved90
steven melnyk

well that is what i would like to get for it as with everything price is nogotiable.

and for me to let it leave my driveway that is what i would like for it. i don't know if any of you know but if you go on autotrader and look up d90's over the whole counrty the average price is like 32,500. this is a very nice truck and i would expect the people on this board to understand that?? if i don't get exactlly 40 for it i will not be in tears. like i said before there is a 97 d90 sw white on here for 39,500, and none of you posted anything about an outragoues price to that dude?? if anyone is interested in buying it please post if you want to discuss the prices and my reasons for the price lets do it elsewhere, send me a PM and your email address and lets discuss it that way.

Follow-up Post:

chris i am just that kind of guy, i just want people to know, i am honest and am not here to try and scam anyone, if i do sell it i would rather sell it to someone here because of all the help that i have gotten from everyone here in the last two years, and hopefully when i get my series i will continu to contribute to this awesome site. i would rather be honest than make a buck! it's a karma thing.
Old July 26th, 2006, 10:24 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Isn't human nature interesting. It was easy to see this one comming.

Is 40K too much? Depends on whether you're pushing or pulling. The market will determine that. I would rather start out asking too much instead of too little. I have always been a little surprised at what most people on this forum think a D is worth. Maybe most people on this forum would be surprised at what I think a D is worth.

If you can buy one that suits your needs for 15K buy it, if you have one that you can get 40K for, go for it.

You said you are on the fence. From what little insight I have I would say the Defender is changing to a unibody with IFS all too soon and I really don't think we will see even those in the US ever again.

Is a clean D 110 worth 65K? The market says it is. If I had a choice between the new FJ Cruiser and a clean '97 D 90 with 43000 miles at the same price (upper 30's) I would take the D. If someone offered me 40K for my Defender I wouldn't take it but I don't look at it as just a commodity.

Only my opinions and worth about what they cost you.
Old July 26th, 2006, 10:27 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
You've run into a group of enthusiasts who would never pay that kind of price and would rather buy something and fix it up to their liking. Nobody here would buy it at that price, even if it were brand new off the boat. I'm certainly not trying to put you down, but you can't expect a favorable reaction from the crowd here. You are looking for someone who wants to buy it for the look, or coolness factor and its condition. Which means selling it to Copley, LandRoverExchange, HuntingRidgeMotors, etc.

This is the flea market for D-90's. We will haggle and bemoan you until we get a fair price.
Old July 26th, 2006, 10:44 AM
steved90
steven melnyk

well then maybe i am on the wrong board!

like i said before the dude with the white 97 for 39,500 got no reaction from you with 65k on it but mine with 43k on it and blue at 40 got all kinds of mostly negative responses? why? i will sell my d90 on autotrader! thanks for all of the support guys!! guess it doesn't really pay to be honest in this world that we live in anymore. and a real thank you to chris and the other guy who backed me on what one price means to one person and not another ,for real.
like i said it will go on autotrader. chris can you please remove this post all together?

-steved90
Old July 26th, 2006, 11:06 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Well, lets not bargin basement ourselves too much. There have been some nice shape trucks priced higher than what some of the regular members would normally go for, here for a number of reasons, but the site has a lot of visitors that are not regular members or even registered who are looking for the nicer trucks and $40K is price that is acceptable to them.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old July 26th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Steve,
say it ain't so! I have seen Steve's truck and know it's in beautiful shape and to some one it will probably sell for the upper 30s if not maybe the whole 40. Don't get upset by just a couple of the reactions here...I don't think they meant to insult you at all, but it is their honest opinion from their point of view...just their opinion, nothing more. As to you being on the fence about selling...I have made that mistake a couple of times. If you can keep it and start using it more, don't sell. I will bet you dollars to donuts you won't ever be able to find another arles blue 97 D90 for what you paid for it in that good a condition. Once it's gone, replacing it will be a trial. Ask me how I know.
Good luck on whatever you decide to do and hope you stick around on the source!
Old July 26th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Steve,

I have read the post and do think you are over reacting a little--I hope you cool off a bit because I don't think anyone is out to insult you. Personally I saw your post and was a bit taken that a damaged/repaired 90 was trying for $40K--seems high because the one's that sell for that price are either totally redone and customized by shops like ECR or they are in new/pristine undamaged condition. I cetainly don't think that $40k for a low mileage 97 in great shape is too much if it is for a collector/enthusiast and I think your best bet is through auto trader/ebay. For one with damage such as yours, I would guess you will end up with $30K-$34K.

You reference the post of the guy asking $39K, but he was not posting looking for opinions--he was posting selling his truck. Big difference. You posted in the technical section fishing for opinions on a public forum, and you got them. I am a little upset by your terse replies that you solicited--not at all cool, in my opinion. But I still give you my honest opinion and hope that you take it more in stride. It was good having you here and if you are commited to leaving like that, then it would be a shame.
Old July 26th, 2006, 12:24 PM
steved90
steven melnyk

Davis,

i am sorry you r offended by my comments. i posted it here to get opinions about selling it and to see if anyone was interested, not for your opinion or what my truck is worth to me. anyway enough of this, i have someone here at my office who is seriously considering buying it, and is taking it for a few days to see if he wants it. so thanks for all of the Positive feedback. and thanks george, hope you are well i will call you this weekend i maybe down in your area on sunday, can you PM me your cell again?

on another note i am looking for an older series to drive up north, anyone seen any decent ones? i have about $40g's to spend...
thats a joke for those who don't think i have a sense of humor.
actually about 5-10 at most...
Old July 26th, 2006, 12:36 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

An Arles blue SW is one of the prettiest colors a D-90 ever came in (my opinion) and 43K miles is very low for a 9 year old truck- I think whats hurting you is your statement that its not all back together. If you were to spend a weekend putting it back together it would easily be worth mid to high $30's and might even sell for over $40 if you found the right buyer. Don't be discouraged by the cheapskates on the board - and I'm one of them - I'd never pay $40 K for a Defender (mostly because I couldn't afford to - I had to wait twelve years to buy mine when they finally got down to what I considered an affordable range).

Someone who has the money and for who an Arles blue SW is his dream truck would probably be glad to find one in great condition and be willing to pay for it - just stick to your guns and tell everyone that's what its worth to you - once its gone you'd have a hard time replacing it. I just went through the same thing selling an old 356 Porsche - some of my friends were telling me to keep it - others were saying I wanted too much money for it. It took some time but the right buyer came along - tried to lowball me an offer and when I wouldn't budge more than $1000 decided he wouldn't find another one in that kind of shape for less and paid me what I wanted. I was fully prepared to keep it if I couldn't get what I wanted for it.

And if you think this forum is rough - he's getting raked over the coals on Discoweb with the same post....

Follow-up Post:

There's a real nice 109 2-door for sale in Marietta Georgia - could be had for around $7500 if it hasn't sold yet - see the posting under "for sale" on the Solaros board.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, 97, arles blue, d90