'97 A/C Not Working - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 6th, 2012, 09:05 PM
BMGmotors
Baird M. Gehring
1997 D90 ST #1558

Registry
'97 A/C Not Working

Hey so I recently had to reset my service engine light on my D90 so I had to remove the center console and fuse box/relay panel. That all went well but once I got it back together I noticed my A/C fan will turn on but the compressor will not kick in, no change in idle speed, no air getting increasingly colder, nada. No blown fuses. I took the center console out again today thinking I could easily find the culprit but did not get anywhere. I went as far as removing the A/C temperature switch which supposedly can control the temperature of the air coming from the A/C unit but only found a broken heavy-gauge wire coming off the exterior of the thermostat switch. I assumed this was some sort of ground wire and when I reconnected it and tried to operate the A/C nothing different happened. I imagine I will need to order a new A/C thermostat switch as the ground wire attached to it seems to be integrated into the switch itself but I have a feeling that this is not the only issue keeping my A/C from functioning correctly so I was wondering if anyone has any another suggestions that might correct my issue? Luckily I don't need my A/C to work right now given the recent climate, hopefully I can fix it before it gets back in the 90s here again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2012, 09:35 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
You are sure it has full charge?

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old January 7th, 2012, 01:44 PM
BMGmotors
Baird M. Gehring
1997 D90 ST #1558

Registry
Yes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2012, 02:29 AM
BMGmotors
Baird M. Gehring
1997 D90 ST #1558

Registry
so basically my issue is that somehow power is not getting to the compressor, so the a/c fan/blower motor will turn on but not the a/c compressor. whatever clicks on and engages the clutch on the compressor is not functioning.
Old January 8th, 2012, 09:03 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Wire around it and try engaging it to see if it's a switching problem or a fried clutch.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old April 6th, 2012, 09:06 PM
BMGmotors
Baird M. Gehring
1997 D90 ST #1558

Registry
Currently trying to figure out why my a/c compressor does not kick on. The compressor is fine, I can wire around it and get it to come on by shorting across two wires on the compressor relay. I have a wiring diagram, all my relays are fine, fuses fine, which leads me to believe their might be something wrong with this thing called the trinary switch, does anyone know where this thing is located in a '97 D90? Thanks. I posted the page of the wiring diagram.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring diagram 1.jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	50026  
Old April 6th, 2012, 10:40 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
trinary switch is normally located on the high pressure side, quite often on the dryer... check your charge pressures high side should engage at about 150 to 180 psi, climb to 200 to 250 and then disengage as it peakes and cycle all over... low side shall be about 50 psi engage and drop to 30 or 20 before cycling.. all of this when fully charged.
if pressures remain steady when compressor engages then you may have a blockeage or a bad compressor.
if charge is too low, compressor will not engage or engage and disengage in fast consistent manner and will not cool.
trinary is responsible for all of this operation disengages when pressures reach peak and diengages and cycles when pressures are low and system is energized.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags