97' 90 with 4.6 having problems - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 11th, 2010, 01:22 PM
nomadic90
Ryan Quandt
97 defender 90

97' 90 with 4.6 having problems

I installed a 4.6 in my 1997 90 and I keep having the same p1313 bank A misfire code. I then started having o2 sensor codes and beow threshold catalytic converter codes. I have done all of the following work to try and solve my problems.

-new spark plugs and wires
-new coil pack
-all new o2 sensors
-brand new catalytic converter

I just installed the sensors and catalytic converter a day ago ran fine all day but this morning starting the truck (it was a colder spring mornng) the check engine light was flashing at me and the code p1313 came back on.

I noticed the engine has been having a kind of ticking noise in cold weather right after it's started, but goes away when it warms up. That's usually when the check engine light starts flashing.

The other thing I noticed is that at highway speeds there seems to be a flat spot in the rpm's.
It will cruise at 60 no problem but if you want to go faster to pass a car it just stays in the 2000 rpm range so the transmission won't shift up. Sometimes I can get it to jump up to 3000 rpm's but not always. I've had the kick down cable adjusted but didn't help any.

Otherwise the truck starts, runs, and idles smooth.
Not sure what to look at next.

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2010, 01:57 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I'm sure I will be of no help, but...
There is a problem with the 14CUX ecm in that they just lose a whole bank with no apparent reason. Worky one day, no worky next day. I have three of the damn things sitting in a box and they're all f'd. That said, you would be having serious issues if only one bank were firing, as only 4 cylinders would ever go bang; 2 per revolution, which you'd certainly know about. Doubt it is an ECU issue. Don't even know if yours is 14CUX, so that shows what I know.
Anyway, your o2 sensors have nothing to do with whether the engine fires or not. All they do is give the ECU feedback AFTER the warm up phase as to whether the engine is running rich or lean. Keeps the 14.7:1 air fuel ratio constant regardless of load.

I would begin by checking that all your grounds are clean and tight. There are some on the back of the cylinder head so look there too. Be sure you have a fresh fully charged battery and the connections are clean and tight. You'd be amazed how many problems are due to low voltage/bad grounds.

Report back after checking all the connections.

Re: cold ticking. Probably a tappet. I currently have one bad one in my own truck. First thing to try is Marvel Mystery Oil. Change the oil and add one quart in the engine and run it for a few hundred miles to see if that frees up the faulty lifter. If not you'll need to do some simple surgery to replace all the cam followers.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old May 11th, 2010, 02:31 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I know nothing about the 97 other than it's not 14CUX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2010, 04:28 PM
nomadic90
Ryan Quandt
97 defender 90

The engine block was completly rebuilt with resurfaced heads, new lifters, valve springs, RPI camshaft, etc. Has just over 3,000 miles on it now. I've already done 3 oil changes on it for the break in.

Ecu is the original 4.0 and has not been rechipped at all.

Ryan
Old May 11th, 2010, 05:57 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadic90 View Post
The engine block was completly rebuilt with resurfaced heads, new lifters, valve springs, RPI camshaft, etc. Has just over 3,000 miles on it now. I've already done 3 oil changes on it for the break in.

Ecu is the original 4.0 and has not been rechipped at all.

Ryan
Means absolutely nothing. If the tappet was bad when installed, it is still bad today. There is no way to visually inspect a part like that before you plop it in and be able to say it's good or no good. Guess you'll be taking off the intake and replacing the lifters some time in your future.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old May 11th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

The ticking noise is normal--it is caused by the rocker shafts and the hydraulic lifters until the oil pressure has built up--and then it goes away--usually in the 10 second or less time.

It could also be your alternator--I know this sounds funny, but if the zenier diodes are going bad, it can be leaking A/C current into your electrical system causing misfires and such. Just one thing to keep an eye out for. Usually this happens in the 2600 rpm range (for me at least) and had similar scenario.
Old May 11th, 2010, 10:43 PM
nomadic90
Ryan Quandt
97 defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
The ticking noise is normal--it is caused by the rocker shafts and the hydraulic lifters until the oil pressure has built up--and then it goes away--usually in the 10 second or less time.

It could also be your alternator--I know this sounds funny, but if the zenier diodes are going bad, it can be leaking A/C current into your electrical system causing misfires and such. Just one thing to keep an eye out for. Usually this happens in the 2600 rpm range (for me at least) and had similar scenario.

Yes the ticking only lasts a few seconds on start up.

That's interesting to hear about the alternator. I suppose there is no way to test that if it only happens sometimes. Just install a new one and see what happens?

Ryan
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I do believe it can be bench tested at most auto parts stores--not sure if that checks for A/C, but it probably does. Just a rectifier circuit.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, 97, problems, vin