'95/Wynn's A/C blower motor repair/replacement - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:15 AM
tgraham
Travis Graham
1994 Defender 90

Registry
'95/Wynn's A/C blower motor repair/replacement

The latest test of patience from my D90 is the 1995/Wynn's A/C unit, which squeals and reeks of burning plastic whenever I try to run it. Upon dissection of the unit, I discovered the problem(s): a broken fan blade and broken lower blower motor housing. The motor itself runs without a problem when I give it 12V outside of the housing.

At this point, I'm debating whether to attempt to repair my existing motor/fan, or just replace it (the motor, not the whole A/C unit). If anyone has any insight to either of the following (or any other gems of knowledge that could help), I'd certainly love to hear it.

1) The whole motor/fan assembly is a Spal 006-A40-22, which is still apparently made, but looks slightly different than the original that came off. Has anyone replaced their motor assembly with a new Spal unit? And if so, did it work out?

2) Has anyone had success finding a replacement fan blade for this unit? It looks pressed onto the motor shaft, but I couldn't gently pry my broken fan off and didn't want to muscle it off for fear of breaking it beyond repair without a replacement in hand.

I don't know how it works where everyone else lives, but around here the auto parts places are absolutely worthless unless you have their part number or a make/model that does not start with "Land Rover." I'm curious whether this fan and/or motor has a generic substitute or not...

Thanks!
Travis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 5th, 2009, 06:06 PM
tgraham
Travis Graham
1994 Defender 90

Registry
Answer: Spal doesn't sell fan blades a la carte, but still makes the 006-A40-22 blower motor. It has been replaced with a new part number... they still had a couple of 006-A40-22s when I ordered it, at $165 a piece direct from the manufacturer.

It's the entire fan housing assembly and bolts straight up to the evaporator housing (hint for anyone going through the same repair: before you start, get four new 4mm machine screw speed nuts and use stainless steel screws - 4mm speed nuts are hard to find). The new housing is also better constructed, especially in the area where my housing was broken. The new one also has an onboard resistor; I chose to scrap the looks-ready-to-break-at-any-moment resistor built into the upper A/C housing and wire the harness to use the new one. The lowest speed isn't quite as low as the old one, but it works perfectly well.

Verdict: $165 and a few hours of labor later and my kneecaps should be sufficiently frigid this summer.

Travis
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Overland90
Chris
95/D90 #169; Aston Martin

Registry
Travis...I see it's been a while since you replaced..however, do you recall where you found the replacement Wynn's? Mine just crashed out. Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2012, 10:47 AM
tgraham
Travis Graham
1994 Defender 90

Registry
I looked through my (extensive) folder of Defender receipts, but strangely enough, could not locate this one. I'm 99% sure it was from Spal USA (spalusa.com). Give them a call with those part #s and hopefully they still sell it.

FWIW, mine has been great for the past three years.

Good luck.

Travis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 7th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Overland90
Chris

Registry
Many thanks!
Old May 7th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Overland90
Chris

Registry
Travis...did your blower look like this?

Found the SPAL part...The SPAL is encased and different?

http://www.spalusa.com/store/main.as...&item=30000093

Thanks of your input...your experience is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	51214  
Old May 7th, 2012, 01:54 PM
tgraham
Travis Graham
1994 Defender 90

Registry
Yep, your photo looks like the original unit that I pulled out and trashed. The modern variant has a slightly different housing design, but the fundamentals are the same (same size, same attachment points, and same outlet port size/position), so it'll bolt right up to the Wynn's evaporator housing and looks like it came from the factory. The new blower motor housing is actually MUCH sturdier than the original.

I found a photo of my replacement while I was installing it (attached) - it looks just like the one shown on their website.

Unlike most of my Rover projects, I don't remember having to overcome any tricks to get this one done other than having to drill out some rusty hardware. I used stainless steel for the reassembly.

I opted to use the motor-based resistor pack and had to fabricate some wire extensions to reach the harness. Keep in mind that there isn't a slow speed with that resistor pack - it's more like "Really Fast," "Ridiculously Fast," and "Category Five Hurricane." You may want to use the factory pack if you like the existing speeds.

I can't remember if it's necessary to disconnect the refrigerant hoses from the evaporator or not, but I know that I did, probably to make life easier. As a result, you may want to be prepared for that and source a new dryer, vacuum, refrigerant, o-rings, oil, etc. I had a part number for a dryer that cost ~$25 at Auto Zone - let me know if you want that and I'll try to dig it up.

Good luck!

Travis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0343.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	51215  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 28th, 2012, 12:02 PM
rmm1231
Rob Mirabelli
1994 D-90

I'm about to tackle the same project on my 1994 D-90. Chris, it appears that you were able to remove the blower motor without disconnecting the refrigerant hoses or evaporator. Is that right? Did that SPAL blower motor fit for you too? Thanks for the advice. - Rob
Old July 2nd, 2012, 12:22 PM
Overland90
Chris

Registry
Rob, Sorry for the late response...yes the SPAL worked great...

It was a little hairy getting to the disconnect screws behind...however, it worked.

You will need to fill the freon...and it should blow icy cold.

A few guys responded in chat with some overly priced units, however, the SPAL was perfect fit and priced lowest..directly from SPAL.

Again, my apologies for the late response...

Best,

Chris
Old July 2nd, 2012, 03:23 PM
rmm1231
Rob Mirabelli
1994 D-90

Chris -

Thanks so much for the reply. Did you go with the single speed SPAL blower motor and use the existing Defender resistor or did you buy the model with the 3 speed resistor and bypass the existing resistor? Do you have the part number of the blower motor you used?

Thanks again!
Rob
Old July 2nd, 2012, 04:12 PM
Overland90
Chris

Registry
006-A40-22 is the item I used... speed built in.. http://www.spalautomotive.com/eng/pr...?id=006-A40-22
Old April 15th, 2016, 06:07 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread to help others looking for the blower motor. The one with the 3-speed resistor pack is SPAL part number 30000099. I bought one here on eBay for $105 shipped. It arrived today and it's correct. It should work for the Diavia system as well as it also has the 006-A40-22 blower.
Old June 3rd, 2016, 03:40 PM
ElAsturiano
Hernan

Has anybody found a tutorial or a video on how to do this elegantly? I want to make sure I don't damage any of the visible bits / trim.
Thanks in Advance.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
95, ac, motor