95 won't start, possible fuel priming issue? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 15th, 2005, 09:39 AM
John Casteel
1961 Series IIa
95 won't start, possible fuel priming issue?

1995 Defender. 55,000 trouble free miles.

I searched and found good threads on fuel pump relays but I've already replaced those.

For those that remember; a rat ate through some of the wires on my 95 Defender. After repairing the damaged wiring the rover wouldn't start. While cranking there was no sound from the fuel pump so I replaced the relay. Presto, the pump hummed and the rover started.

The last time I drove the rover it started fine in the morning. I drove 10 miles, put gas in the tank and then had trouble starting. (I was stranded for about 20 minutes.)

I drove to my office, another 10 miles. The cars sat for about 4 hours and i left to meet a client. The car sat for about 20 minutes and then wouldn't start again. (I was stranded about 1 hour this time before I finally cranked the rover.) Someone who tried to help said that the filter might be clogged, which I thought was a good possibility.

I drove home and last weekend replaced the fuel filter. Before replacing the fuel filter the rover wouldn't start. After replacing the fuel filter the rover still won't start.

The fuel pump hums, prior to cranking, and shuts off as it should. So I don't think it is a relay issue this time.

Years ago, when I had to drive in summertime Atlanta traffic, I had about 3 seperate instances where the rover just shut down in bumper to bumper traffice. For some reason I believed it was a fuel starvation issue. In every instance I unscrewed the gas cap, much air rushed in and the rover started and ran fine afterwards. I don't know if this could be related so I offer it as the only other "trouble" that the rover has demonstrated.

1. How do I prime the fuel system? I was letting the fuel pump do the priming.

2. I assume the fuel pump could be weak. Is that a reasonable assumption?

3. If I have to replace the fuel pump I will put the fuel pump external to the tank. Does anyone have a good writeup on the parts and process?

4. Also, if I replace the pump externally, I'd just as soon have a toggle on the dash to energize the pump and do away with the relays. Has anyone attempted this option?

As always, any help would be greatly appreciated.

John Casteel

Old March 15th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team
I can square you away with some suggestions for eliminating the in-tank pump and rigging up an altered fuel system. I would suggest putting the fuel pump in the passenger seat box - that would protect it from the elements. I used braided stainless hose and stainless hard lines when I fabricated my fuel system, I can give you some good part numbers if you want to use the same brand i used.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

95, fuel, start