95 S/T Rattle Help? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 26th, 2004, 07:56 PM
rcmorgan540
Casey Morgan

95 S/T Rattle Help?

Hello,
Has anyone experienced a rattle in the instrument cluster? It is like a ticking noise. The odometer is working perfectly. That is the only thing that I could imagine making that noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2004, 10:18 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Does the speedometer jump around?
Old May 27th, 2004, 02:43 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Often times it is due to slight slipping of the cable that connects to the speedometer/odometer. I would make sure that it is tight--if the connection to the gearing before the transmission is loose, it can also cause this slipping. If the speedometer does jump as Mike asked, then this is probably the case. Otherwise, place a mousetrap with a piece of cheese soaked in 75/90 gear oil behind the dash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2004, 08:21 AM
rcmorgan540
Casey Morgan

Ha ..

Yeah .. The speedo does jump a bit. I guess I will brave this fix after work.
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:26 AM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
It's interesting to find out what the average time it is when a new owner posts in the Chit Chat forum about their newly purchased D90 till they post on the Tech Forum about an issue

I guess I will say it again Casey... "Welcome aboard!"

Seriously though, you will probably here another 1237 squeeks, rattles, and clunks. But they are fun vehicles and as you can see, fairly quick help is readily available.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:31 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

It's real easy to pull just that part of the dash off. A bunch of screws and then it will slide forward. If you can spray some WD40 on the cable itself down the inside to help it spins more freely, when you put it back together make sure to push the cable back down the sleeve its in and pull the sleeve up against the back of the speedometer so it goes back into place at the other end.
Old June 10th, 2004, 09:34 AM
rcmorgan540
Casey Morgan

I had a mechanic look at it yesterday. He said there was a slight kink in my Speedo / Odo cable. I think it is worse now as far as the the jumping of the speedo. I guess replacing the entire cable would be the thing to do? Anyone done the shopping on this one?
Old June 10th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
I replaced my speedo cable when I first got mine. It was very easy and cheap. My speedo still is a little bit jumpy from 5-15mph but steady after that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
95, rattle