95 D90 Shifter 4x4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 21st, 2004, 06:07 PM
Vadim
vadim
95 D90

Question 95 D90 Shifter 4x4

Hi.Its may sounds stupid,but I like to find out how to use small 4x4 shifter on my 95 D90 And D90 they are full time 4 whell drive ?? And stock D90 comes with differential locks? And if I can use this shifter to lock them in ? I don't have a manual,and if some body have some fotos ,it will really help.
Thank you in advance!
Vadim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 21st, 2004, 07:01 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The small shifter does two things-
1) Selects High or Low ratio in the Transfer Case
2) Locks the center differential

There are 3 diffs in the Defender, only the center one is lockable from the factory. Though the d90 is full-time 4WD, it will still loose traction if the diffs are all unlocked and a wheel slips. This is actually a good thing because most driving occurs on the road where the left and right wheels and front and rear axels need to be able to rotate at different speeds during turning.

Locking the center diff makes it so that you wont lose all traction unless two wheels (one front and one rear) lose traction.

That being said, the center diff should remain unlocked unless you expect to need it.

All you really need to know is that there are 4 settings you can choose with the little shifter-
1 High ratio unlocked diff (normal driving)
2 Low ratio unlocked diff (starting off with a heavy trailer/load or very slow manuevering)
3 High ratio locked (perhaps snow or ice)
4 Low ratio locked (slow off-raod driving)
Old September 21st, 2004, 08:17 PM
Vadim
vadim
95 D90

Thank you Jim. Do u have any pages from original manual ? I just like to see some fotos or diagramms if its posiable.
Thank you
Vadim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 21st, 2004, 09:51 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Jim said it well. Also, there should be a little diagram etched into the shifter itself. Basically the shift pattern is a square with the bottom right position being the high range unlocked (what you should spend most of your time in on the road). To lock the center diff in high range, just push the shifter all the way to the left. This can be done at any reasonable speed, but all four tires need to be turning at the same speed to avoid damage to the drive train. Low range is all the way forward (towards the engine compartment), and again unlocked is the right side (opposite the driver) and the center diff lock position is all the way to the left. Neutral is between high and low ranges.

To shift from high range (locked or unlocked) to low range, the rover first needs to be stopped. Then, the transmission needs to be put into neutral and then the shifter should be put through neutral on the right side of the “square” and then into low range. Only then can the transmission be put back into gear. Going from low to high range is the same procedure, but the rover can be moving slowly (2-3?mph). Whenever the shifter goes from high to low or vice versa, it needs to go through the right side (opposite the driver) of the square. One last thing, I have been told that when the transfer box is in low range the rover shouldn’t go any faster than 15mph.

I hope this helps. If I totally confused you, I can look up the directions in the owner’s manual in a few days when I get back to my rover. And just to be picky, defenders (as are most rovers) have permanent four wheel drive. Not full time four wheel drive.

-Mike
Old September 21st, 2004, 11:52 PM
Vadim
vadim
95 D90

Thank you Mike

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
4x4, 90, 95, d90