95 D90 Out of gas - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 29th, 2013, 01:28 PM
charlieh313
Charlie
None

95 D90 Out of gas

Hey guys,

New 1995 D90 SW owner and this past weekend got caught running the car empty. Didn't realize the car was that empty on gas. It didn't show completely empty but now I know what limit I can push the vehicle to.

So after it came to a sputtering stop we got to put gas in it but it wouldn't turn over. It cranks well just won't turn over.

From some of the research I've been doing online it sounds like it could be the fuel pump but I wanted to see if anyone could chime in on the subject.

Thanks!

-Charlie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 29th, 2013, 01:34 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

When you first turn the key, do you hear the fuel pump make a buzzing noise for a few seconds and then shut off?

If not, swap your silver relays (search and you will see, they are under your seat on a 95) and see if you hear the fuel pump run this time. If so, it is a bad silver relay. If not, it is likely the fuel pump.
Old April 29th, 2013, 10:21 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
reset the ECU .... completely remove the battery leads from the battery and touch them together for 30 seconds.

mine gets confused sometime and doesn't run the fuel pump especially after a stall. I use an ECU computer ( Rover Gauge or ECUMAte ) to turn the pump on ... you could try the reset or as Ron suggests the relays.

The fuel pumps are notorious for failing ... they corrode due to the flawed design ... if your's hasn't been replaced then keep an eye out for someone selling a cheap one or hit up RN for the genuine article.

welcome to Defender ownership!
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 29th, 2013, 10:22 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Why touch them together? Disconnecting the battery for 30 sec should be sufficient.
Old April 29th, 2013, 10:27 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Why touch them together? Disconnecting the battery for 30 sec should be sufficient.
Touching them will drain any capacitors that are holding charge keeping memory chips refreshed. Agree it's probably superfluous but ensures the reset happens. I do this for other devices that have longer retention ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 2nd, 2013, 04:41 PM
charlieh313
Charlie
None

Thanks for the info guys. Turns out it was the pump. A new pump was installed and the D90 is back to life again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
95, d90, gas