95 D90 fuel pump - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 6th, 2012, 02:10 PM
red&yellowrovers
Joe Still
95 D90 NAS 3.9l ST AA Yellow #2719

95 D90 fuel pump

Been struggling with dying or just not starting. Had been sitting up a few months for a dash and bulkhead restration and since then has been a paragon of unreliability.

Yesterday at part warmed-up it died at 40 mph and wouldn't fire one lick while coasting down. Once stopped I tried several restarts cyling the key looking for fuel pressure. REalys are new and clik in and out correctly. At one point it cranked to about 200 rpm which I could mainatin by massaging the throttle but it would not really run.

Three hours later it started and drove home- jsut as the wreker pulled up of course. I am ceratin now that the fuel pump was not running when I tried and failed repeatedly. I could hear the pump run when it did start so I am sure it was fuel starved.

Yes, the fuel pump was replaced about 300 miles ago.

The "search- fuel pump" shows as often as not the pump wasn't bad but the "wiring/realted" caused the problem.
  1. What wiring would stop it from running and
  2. is the ecu invloved?
Advice always appreciated. js
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 6th, 2012, 02:16 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
So you've checked your spark strength, etc.? How old is the coil?

Doubt it's your fuel pump.

Search more for "running rough" "died warm" "dies hot" things like that.
Old August 6th, 2012, 02:29 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Sounds like an ignition module to me.
Advertisement

Old August 6th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Sounds like an ignition module to me.
Ignition related given the description. Common for coils to fail when hot as you describe. I'd drop a new one in.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old August 6th, 2012, 06:25 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
fuel filter ...

Or just change random parts until you hopefully find something wrong ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old August 6th, 2012, 07:48 PM
red&yellowrovers
Joe Still

Coil new. I can't find ecu but would be glad to invest to eliminate.
Old August 6th, 2012, 08:14 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by red&yellowrovers View Post
Coil new. I can't find ecu but would be glad to invest to eliminate.
Ecu is under the ps seat.
Also, check all wire connections going to/from the dizzy, ignition mod and the coil.
They can work themselves loose.
I had similar problems...ended up being the ign mod.
Good luck
Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 7th, 2012, 09:38 AM
red&yellowrovers
Joe Still

Just put in new distributor with built-in ignition amplifier from D&D Fab. New coil same time. I was able to document with certainty the fuel pump at times does not run. It is new (very few miles) so I suspect either wiring to the pump is hinky or whatever controls the fuel pump is haywire.

It had blown a fuse on the fuel pump before I bought it- burned termianls in the fuse block. This is not however a fuse problem since it died running and then restarted without the fuse being replaced.

Does anyone have a control diagram for the fuel pump? I assume it repsonds to the fuel pressure regulator (one part I have not yet replaced) and the electrical relays. Does it respond to the ecu as well?

Thanks as always.

js
Old August 13th, 2012, 09:39 PM
bhtaco21
Butch Hamlet
95 NAS Defender 90

My intermittent fuel pump issue was due to the electrical connector at the top of the fuel tank. The connector snaps in to the pump connector, and mine was not positively connected. Pain to get to because you need to drop the tank down to see it. One alternative is to cut a hole in the bed directly above the pump and then it is easy to check and easy to replace the pump and sender. Good luck. Intermittent issues are soooo frustrating.
Butch
Old August 15th, 2012, 06:15 PM
red&yellowrovers
Joe Still

Thanks Butch, did you cut the hole and if so could you locate it for me? js
Old August 15th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Have you checked the connections on the Inertia switch on the engine side bulkhead? the diagram for the fuel pump relay is ETM A1 in RAV. I did a search the other day and found the whole electrical wiring diagram but didn't keep the link.
Old August 15th, 2012, 09:36 PM
bhtaco21
Butch Hamlet
95 NAS Defender 90

Joe,
I didn't cut the hole, but the next time I have to access the pump/sender/connector I probably will cut the hole. Will Tillery (Rover Guy) knows the exact location measurement, but I didn't write it down.

Good luck.
Butch
Old August 18th, 2012, 11:41 AM
red&yellowrovers
Joe Still

I can wiggle the wiring everywhere under the hood when it runs without anything dying. In cldues the inertia switch. I was surprised I could even disconnnect the coolant temp sensor and it didn't die. I thougth that sensor had a role in fuel delivery but apparently not at idle. Of course it may not have been fully up to temp.

I shipped off the ecu yesterday to be bench tested and repaired if required. I will also probably take the fuel tank out to check all the 1 year old work. I have been doing some extensive cleaing an de-rusting anyway (did the dash and bulkhead last winter) and that is a good place to attack.

While I paid $1k for the new fuel pump the guy had to deal with the rusted fasteners so I should have it easier this time.

So with the fuel pump wiring and piping verified and the ecu tested I will be looking at various senors I suppose if problem remains.

Anyone tell me how to measure voltage to the fuel injectors?

Thanks for the input. js
Old August 18th, 2012, 12:16 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Okay.. disconnecting the coolant temp sensor is not going to make the engine die...it's an NTC (negative temperature coefficient resistor..) meaning the hotter it gets the less the resistance.. so when disconnected it appears full resistance and goes to full rich on the injection..i.e.cold start..may cause check engine light for open cicuit cooalnt temp but wont kill the engine..fuel pressure regulator is mechanical and has no control over anything other than keeping fuel pressure at 35-40, the vacuum line is only there to allow fuel pressure to rise approx 5 psi under acceleration... injectors are 12 volts but have a constant positive fed to them and the ECU does the grounding and based on coolant temp and engine rpm millisecond duration is adjusted...If I recall correctly the main relay supplies power to the injectors and the fuel pump relay but the relay is switched via ecu...if you cant find the wiring diagram I can pull it up and e-mail it to you..keep a can of starting fluid with you..when it dies if you spray starting fluid in the air cleaner and it fires for a moment and then dies you know its getting spark but no fuel, you are going to have to start narrowing it down in order to diagnose accurately..once again when it dies pull the coil wire out of the distributor cap and rest it close to the engine or body, anywhere metal..about a 1/4 inch air gap and crank the engine over..if you get a nice crisp blue spark you have plenty of coil power and verifies all of your ignition system...I have seen the ignition rotor give problems before where they allow the spark to go through to the distributor shaft..its cheap, replace it if you havent already.. you should have a schrader valve fitting on the side of your fuel rail, connect a fuel guage to that and tape it to the w/screen and drive the car..once it startsa acting up see what your fuel pressure is...it should be about 35-40 PSI...if it drops off then you are getting a fuel delivery issue... bench testing an ECU rarely finds an intermittent issue, they test it and it tests fine because it isn't playing up at the moment in time, different temperature, load, vibrations, etc etc..
Old August 20th, 2012, 12:35 PM
red&yellowrovers
Joe Still

TRShop, Lots of useful info, especially the insight into the mechanics of operation.

I am going to mount the fuel pressure gage as you suggest. I have not seen the schrader valve but have no doubt it is there somewhere.

Do you have a single operator method for checking for fire? I can't really crank and hold the coil wire near ground at the same time effectively.

I do have a new distributor with built in amplifier along with a new coil. I've tried the starting fluid looking for what you suggest and it will carnk a little faster but not fire. Also there is no fuel smell from the exhaust after cranking.

I started pulling the fuel tank this weekend but its full of fuel and I need to drain it so I can handle it.

Thanks again!! js

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, 95, d90, fuel