95 D90- A/C WIRING DIAGRAM (Davia) --> - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 19th, 2004, 02:58 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

95 D90- A/C WIRING DIAGRAM (Davia or Wynn's) -->

Fella's...

Does anyone have the wiring diagram to the 95 D90 (I believe it's a DAVIA but could be WYNN's ... I can take pics if need be...) AIR CONDITIONING System (it's R134A upgraded, if that helps) ???

My A/C went out in my 95 D90... It's a brand new system about 1 1/2 yrs old. I rarely use it and tried it the other day and the compressor's not turning on.
I perused the Tallahassee area today in search of a competent A/C mechanic, and found one. Well, he did all the compression tests, etc. and he said: "... it's an electrical problem, for some reason your interior switch isn't turning the compressor ON... get me a diagram and I'll fix it..."

That brings me here.

I had a guy by the name of Jim Cartier at a place (think it's closed down now) called Seminole Rovers down in Tampa install the A/C ... I purchased it brand new from the local LR Dealer but my DUMB ASS forgot to 'snag' my instruction manual / WIRING DIAGRAM.

I'd be willing to pay for it if need be. A digital version would be best, .pdf perhaps ??

Anyway, any help is appreciated. I'd try to fix it myself but have NO IDEA when it comes to A/C units.

Nicholas Orros
Tallahassee, Florida
850-322-3508

Follow-up Post:

Interior... (don't know if this will help anyone...)

Thanks again,

Nicholas

Follow-up Post:

Interior.. I don't know if this will help determine WHICH A/C system this is...

THANK YOU AGAIN !!!

Nicholas Orros

Follow-up Post:

one more pic...
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2004, 10:33 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hey Nicholas, there is a thremo switch with 2 wires going to it. it is on the housing for the T-stat. If it is not working correctly it will not allow the AC system to turn on. the purpose of it is to not allow the compressor to run when the engine overheats. Here try this, unplug one of the wires on the therom switch and turn on the AC, the compressor should kick in.
Old June 20th, 2004, 02:07 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Michael,

Thank you for your response.

My temperature gauge wasn't working last week, so I ordered a new thermostat & temperature sender (that's the 'thing' that the 2 wires hook into on the thermostat housing I believe) and it fixed my temp gauge problem, so I think that's working correctly.

I did what you said and removed that 2 wire plug and the a/c compressor still doesn't kick on. (I don't seem to be able to unplug just one wire because it is kind of a 2 wire plug...).

When the 'a/c guy' I had look at it yesterday applied power directly to the compressor it clicked on and blew cold just fine.

I have no idea. Any other ideas ?

Much appreciated !!!

Nicholas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 20th, 2004, 02:14 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Have him bypass the switch on the dryer. it is bolted to the frame by the lower radiator hose. May be a loose connection.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old June 20th, 2004, 02:17 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Jim,

Thank you for your repsonse. Will do.

I'm not sure he can really help unless I find a wiring diagram which I'm still looking for.

I'm wondering if I called an LR dealer if they would have one. ?

Nicholas

Old June 20th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

On top of the AC compressor there is a wire (I think it is Green). You should be able to trace this wire back to it's source of power. When your AC guy applied power directly to the compressor he just jumped this wire to 12volts. I think the wire runs back to a relay mounted on the heater box but I am not sure, I would look at mine but I have removed most of my AC system. I think there are 2 relays and they have fuses mounted to them.
Old June 20th, 2004, 05:02 PM
mpodgorski
martin
'94 D90 ST Arles

the A/C system that you have in your truck is the Elite, I had it in mine, same as the 97. I have the wiring diagram at the dealership, I will PM you tomorrow and scan and email it to you.
I can also send you the instructions via mail too.

martin
Old June 20th, 2004, 05:22 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Martin,

You rule. Much appreciated.

I'll owe you a tall boy or two if you ever make it up around these parts.

A digital version would be just fine, then I can just print it out and bring it to my a/c guy.

Cool.

Nicholas

Old June 22nd, 2004, 03:11 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Just wanted to publicly thank Martin for the fax of the A/C manual.

Came through crystal clear...

Thank you again.

Nicholas

Old June 22nd, 2004, 03:32 PM
mpodgorski
martin
'94 D90 ST Arles

hey my pleasure. nicholas
hope it helps the tech to work on it, I know summer in florida without A/C is no picnic.
Let me know of any other troubles, I am always around

martin
Old August 3rd, 2004, 05:22 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

update...

Well, I'm getting ready to go on a camping trip this weekend in NC, not sure exactly where but my girlfriend does...
Anyway, she's bitching and moaning about the a/c not working and I've been so busy lately with installing hardwood floors in the house (1st time) and getting the rooftop tent on the D90 (I'm getting pic's fella's, sorry about the wait for those who asked) that I haven't had a chance to get the a/c fixed...

SO, I take it down to an a/c guy (not the same one who 'knew' what the problem was because he is no longer with that company) and he can get it to work by putting a paper clip in the thermostat housing to connect the 2 sides of the wires...
He's saying it's the thermostat housing, and that should be replaced but I JUST REPLACED IT.

I have no idea.

Wondering if anyone does.

Also, as a 'quick fix' will it hurt if I throw a paper clip on there just for my trip to pacify my girl ?

Thanks,

Nicholas Orros

Old August 3rd, 2004, 06:00 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Nicholas, (got the PM) the paper clip will be fine as long as the engine temp stays down, if the engine temp gets passed 3/4 then I would turn off the AC. I don't think it is the housing, it is most likly the temp sensor in the housing. Now for the bad news it seems like there is either something backwards in the way it is wired, or your system is reversed from mine. The temp sensor on mine reads open when everything is ok, but when the engne gets HOT it reads closed, your AC system may work the opposite way. If this is the case then the sensor you have in the thermostat housing may need to be replaced. The wiring diagram that you have, could you e-mail it to me?
Old August 3rd, 2004, 11:14 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Mike,

Thanks for the info.

Well, I just changed the temperature sender unit, when I did the thermostat.

The temperature gauge inside the truck reads normal, so I was 'ass'uming that it was working normally.

Would it be as simple as reversing the 2 contact wires on the housing ?

Thanks again,

Nicholas

Old August 4th, 2004, 08:21 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

There are 2 temp sensors, one for the gauge in the dash, and the other for the AC. The Dash gauge one has 1 wire and the AC one has 2 wires. If you look at the pic, you see the little green wire that is attached to the temp sensor for the gauge. The thing that looks like a big nut with 2 tabs on it is for the AC.

What I was saying is the sensor for the AC may be backwards from what you need. My sensor reads open until the engine overheats, then it reads as a short. You said you need to short out the sensor (paperclip) to get the AC to turn on. Thatís why I thought the sensor you put in there as a replacement is backwards from what you need. Make sense? I am not sure I am 100% right but if I saw the wiring diagram I could be sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-016S.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	1183  
Old August 4th, 2004, 08:32 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Shot in the dark. Did you check for loose wires behind the unit, against the bulkhead (interior)? I have periodically had passengers kick loose the ground wire and other associated wires unwittingly. Reach under and behind the unit on the passenger floor. Thier should be at least one ground and maybe a power connection. These are just connected to a spade and often come loose rendering the unit unresponsive.
Old August 4th, 2004, 09:50 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Mike,

I did change the 2 wire, larger temp sensor for the A/C... could it be defective? I'm not sure.

Dave,

I checked the wires and had the a/c place check them and everything seems fine.

I'm going to do the 'quick paper-clip' fix just for the trip and keep an eye on everything so hopefully it will be alright until I get back.

Thanks again!

Nicholas

Old February 18th, 2005, 01:20 AM
naeirie
Nilo Enerio
95 D90 ST #2571

Registry
Hi Nicholas,

Did you ever resolve your A/C compressor problem? I have the same situation and I can't figure out what's causing the A/C compressor not tokick on.

Thanks,
Nilo
Old February 18th, 2005, 07:12 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Nilo,

Why Yes, it's fairly fixed we'll say.
I stuck a paper clip in the relay and it just worked... I did it as a 'quick fix' on the way out of town (girlfriend had to have the A/C on or she would have just freaked...haha) and I just left it and it's fine.

N

Old February 18th, 2005, 10:19 AM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

Nick:

I didn't see this thread the first time around, but I have the same 'elite' A/C system in my White 95 SW... also installed by one Jimmy Cartier @ Seminole Rovers!

I just read through this quick, so forgive me if this was covered clearly, but when you said you changed the temperature sending unit, you replaced the 2 prong unit next to the housing... You did that to fix the your temp gauge? Did it work? Cause as mike said, that's not the sender for the gauge, so it shouldn't have done anything.

And as Mike said, it's normally an open switch... when the temperature of the truck reaches some preset value (like 225 or something) it closes, which turns off the A/C. this is the switch some folks (myself included) have removed and replaced with the VW t-sending unit to control electric fans. And while I had that setup, I used a small jumper wire just like you're using your paper clip now to run the A/C. So since we've got the same A/C unit, it still works the same way.

If you want to get rid of the paper clip and back to the stock setup, I'd replace that switch again, and make sure its the d90 AC cutoff sender, not a temperature sender.
Old February 18th, 2005, 12:07 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Dave,

Yes, I replaced the 2-prong unit next to the housing... Someone told me to change that out whilst I was replacing the thermostat, which is what I think the real problem was... because... that seemed to fix my temperature gauge.

Oh yeah... Where is that ole' dog Cartier ?? I've heard a # of things...

Well, the A/C works fine now, and I'm not going to mess with it until something blows up...haha.
Too much on the 'to do' list to worry about something that actually works !

In any case, this weekend I think I'm actually going to replace the front air vents to the Series kind, which I believe you did a write-up on if I'm not mistaken ?? How long did it take you ? Also, what kind of adhesive did you end up using ?

Nicholas

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, 95, d90, wiring