'95 D-90; fuel pressure regulator trouble, stalling - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 25th, 2016, 10:13 PM
PMKColorado
Paul Koentges
'95 White D-90, #2625

'95 D-90; fuel pressure regulator trouble, stalling

Intermittent stalling (totally dies), thought it was electrical as it seemed to occur over bumps, thought it was inertia switch, bypassed it...no luck, ECU does not throw a code; replaced fuel cap as the tank seemed to have a lot of pressure. It mostly happens 4-wheeling or when outdoor temps are very high; acts as if no fuel, won't start. If I hammer (lightly) on the fuel pressure regulator, it will start...usually after a minute or so. I replaced the regulator with a used one out of a '95 classic...same problem. Any thoughts before I purchase a new one without really knowing if that is the cause?

thanks,
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 25th, 2016, 11:23 PM
One Ten
Sam
1994 NAS SW

Have you checked for vacuum leaks? It can cause stalling issues
Old June 26th, 2016, 07:32 AM
PMKColorado
Paul Koentges
'95 White D-90, #2625

yes, but I will check again...is the best method to spray carb cleaner around while engine is running? It happened twice this last weekend, once backwoods and once after driving 50 miles at highway speed; slowed down at a stop sign and it stalled. I will check for fault codes again. This has been a reoccurring problem over the last couple of years, MIT could not diagnose either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2016, 08:19 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Clean your AICV first - its how the engine controls idling ... take it out and clean it with carb cleaner and a small brush.

Check the big hose for leaks ... they rot out underneath and that would contribute but not necessarily cause the issue ... unless the hose was coming loose.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old June 26th, 2016, 11:45 AM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle
1995 NAS D90 Coniston Green SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Clean your AICV first - its how the engine controls idling ... take it out and clean it with carb cleaner and a small brush. Check the big hose for leaks ... they rot out underneath and that would contribute but not necessarily cause the issue ... unless the hose was coming loose.
True dis...

"I actually like to paint some of my smaller parts......"
Old June 26th, 2016, 12:00 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMKColorado View Post
Intermittent stalling (totally dies), thought it was electrical as it seemed to occur over bumps, thought it was inertia switch, bypassed it...no luck, ECU does not throw a code; replaced fuel cap as the tank seemed to have a lot of pressure. It mostly happens 4-wheeling or when outdoor temps are very high; acts as if no fuel, won't start. If I hammer (lightly) on the fuel pressure regulator, it will start...usually after a minute or so. I replaced the regulator with a used one out of a '95 classic...same problem. Any thoughts before I purchase a new one without really knowing if that is the cause?

thanks,
Paul
Try this, detach the return hose off the pressure regulator. Have someone turn the key on for a moment. Does fuel come out ? Regulator is set to open around 45 psi or so. I recently had a similar problem where the cap was making noise when I unscrewed it as well. On mine there was no fuel out of the regulator. The pump had come partly apart in the tank and was barely making enough pressure
to push past the regulator. The regulators seldom fail.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, 95, d-90, fuel