'94 Tailight Sockets! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 20th, 2005, 02:34 AM
scot
Scot Yount
95 Coniston Green D-90 SW

'94 Tailight Sockets!

Has anyone else with a '94 had the problem where the plastic socket that holds the bulb under the tailight lens fails? The bulbs have 'tits' on them and the plasitc receptacle has slots to hold the bulb in place. But when those slots wear out, Rover offers only a complete replacement light assembly for about $200! You can't (apparently) buy just the socket or receptacle and wire it in like you can on round lamp models. Anyone else have this problem? It is a good thing the police in Boston are too busy chasing terrorists and murderers to have time for, or interest in, stopping me for having no left tailight. Anybody got a reasonably priced fix?
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2005, 07:31 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I cleaned mine up a bit last time I had to replace a bulb (over a year ago). I just used some sand paper. I haven't looked but can't we just replace the socket with a generic one from the auto parts store? And the cops are the same up here, I drove around with no front plate for months and they never even looked at me twice.
Old January 20th, 2005, 11:42 AM
scot
Scot Yount

Mike..down here the cops seem to have no idea that;

I don't have a front license plate anymore either
I still have one of my old Alaska license plates on my tailgate
My truck has six Hellas on it, all with no covers
No left tailight or brakelight
No third brakelight at all (I don't use the spare tire carrier)
I have no rear bumper
And according to Massachusetts law, I believe my truck is lifted too high over stock.

All that said...I am glad they don't mess with me....!!
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2005, 12:19 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Quote:
Originally Posted by scot
Has anyone else with a '94 had the problem where the plastic socket that holds the bulb under the tailight lens fails?

Yes. I had this problem a couple of weeks ago. First, my side marker lights went out, then the tail lights. Easy fix, just replaced the plastic socket things. It cost a couple of bucks.
Old January 20th, 2005, 01:43 PM
scot
Scot Yount

Where did you get the sockets? I have asked Alan Elliot at Cityside Garage here in Mass, Atlantic British, Rovers North and the dreaded Land Rover dealer....? They all say rover does not supply the socket...you have to buy the whole assembly. On '95s and later...you can buy just the socket. So, where did you get the replacement socket?
Old January 20th, 2005, 06:12 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Scot - This happened right before I was going to take it in to have my oil cooler lines replaced, so I just had them do it at the same time. Them being the local (non-rover) shop that has worked on my truck in the past. I was under the impression they were just generic sockets. I'll check with them tomorrow to see where they got them.
Old January 20th, 2005, 11:31 PM
scot
Scot Yount

Phil,
Once you get that truck running again, it would be great if they did tell you where they got the sockets. Thanks.
Old January 20th, 2005, 11:58 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by scot
Mike..down here the cops seem to have no idea that;

My truck has six Hellas on it, all with no covers
And according to Massachusetts law, I believe my truck is lifted too high over stock.

What? Are you saying these two things are illegal?
Old January 21st, 2005, 12:13 AM
scot
Scot Yount

There is definitely a law about height over stock...not sure what the limit is. And yes..there are also laws pertaining to lights. In the south, where lots of people have aux lights on their trucks...the cops are a lot more savy as to making sure you have the covers on, otherwise there would be nothing to keep you from outright blinding an oncoming motorist if you felt like flipping the switch. Let's just say there are more folks who like to hunt deer without ever getting out of the truck in some rural areas where I have lived. I'm not saying the cops in Boston don't know the laws...they just have more important things to do.
Old January 21st, 2005, 09:30 AM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Scot - You want Carquest part #S74. Should be a couple of bucks apiece.
Old January 24th, 2005, 10:36 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

mass lift laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot
Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
What? Are you saying these two things are illegal?
Yup, the commonwealth of massacheusetts has a whacky formula that involves wheelbase to determine how much higher your vehicle is allowed to be. I was thinking of moving there a while ago when I had a jeep (same wheelbase) and it calculated to 2" lift - ie the sill could be no more than 2" higher than stock (including tires).

And tires could not be more than 2" larger than the largest sold with the vehicle. So with the jeep, largest stock tire was 30" tire, so legally I could only go up to 32" tires, as per the number on the sidewall.

But I didnt go there, and sold the jeep and got a 90 instead. So for me its no longer an issue

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht