'94 Speedometer stuck at 100k, good news/bad news - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 2nd, 2007, 07:39 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

'94 Speedometer stuck at 100k, good news/bad news

Well, Finally tore my speedometer apart today, which has been stuck at 100k miles for about a year now.

The good news is that I was able to get the odometer rolling again pretty easily once I figured out what I was doing. Not hard to do really, once you get the casing apart.

Bad news: In the process of doing it, I goofed up and totally screwed over the speedometer function. Took things apart I didn't need to, no saving it without a lot of work. Time to order a new one.

When the new one arrives, I'll show you guys how to fix the odometer problem though. Since I know how to do that now, without doing the stupid things that I did.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 2nd, 2007, 08:10 PM
PCRover
Gary Young
'94 90ST -> SW

Mine Odo is stuck at 100k also so I am looking forward to your report.
Old November 3rd, 2007, 01:13 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I don't know what happened to yours, but if the gears got brittle and cracked or something the BMW guys use these guys to locate replacements. They are a little pricey but less than a new speedo.
Advertisement

Old November 3rd, 2007, 02:17 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Actually, looked like there just isn't enough tension on the little clicker to turn over that digit all the way on the left. Gears were all just fine, none were cracked or even visibly worn. But you can feel that the spring/latch inside the wheels doesn't have much strength to it.... probably just not enough to turn 6 at a time without slipping. Once I kicked it over and got 100,000+ showing, it's spinning fine now.

Unfortunately, I tried taking apart the wrong half first,before I figured out what I was doing, and I both messed up the balance spring as well as tweaked the magnetic spool for the speed portion. Oops. New Autometer Cobalt is on the way though now, so just have to be careful not to speed the next few days before it arrives.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
news, speedo