94 Fuel Relay - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 7th, 2013, 12:34 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
http://ecumate.com/docs/Ecumate%20inst.pdf

http://p38arover.com/rover/p38a/Engi...UX_Systems.pdf

http://www.g33.co.uk/images/PDFS/LR_...ionSystems.pdf

Some reading material ....

I wonder if you have a bad ground that is pulling the voltage too low for normal operation ... Rover Gauge will tell you the voltage the ECU actually sees rather than what is available at the battery. You may be able to figure out which pins to measure from the above docs ... I cant find the test procedure doc at the minute.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 19th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Gecko
Stefano Watson
94 D90

I have been messing with RoverGauge and have not gotten it to work yet. I did chase the wires from the relay all the way to the pump and everything checks out. I bypassed the relay and was able to send power to the fuel pump and it ran. Any suggestions? With luck I can get RoverGauge to work to get more diagnosis.
Old January 19th, 2013, 07:58 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
When you say you "bypassed the relay" do you mean you hot wired it at the relay connector or somewhere else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Gecko
Stefano Watson
94 D90

I hot wired it at the relay. From 30 to 87 and the pump runs.
Old January 20th, 2013, 06:37 PM
Gecko
Stefano Watson
94 D90

Able to finally get RoverGauge to connect to the truck! It is showing 21.0 Volts. I also tried to activate the fuel pump (one shot and continuous) from the console and it did not work. I am now stumped.

Summary:
Fuel Relay is not switching.
New Relays
New Ignition switch
Fuel pump fires when direct power applied by bypassing the fuel relay.
Fuel Relay shows momentary power from 30 to 87 when switched on.
Immobilization switch is bypassed.
Old January 21st, 2013, 10:46 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Well next trick is to pull the relay again, and measure voltage from relay pin 86 to ground (don't use pin 85 as your ground). Do you get 12 volts when you think the pump should be on? Try it again from between 86 and 85.

You mention "relay shows momentary power from 30 to 87 when switched on". Is this actually a typo and you mean between 86 and 85? If not, and you really mean 30 to 87, then you have a power input problem to the relay. It should have continuous power.
Old January 21st, 2013, 10:59 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
Able to finally get RoverGauge to connect to the truck! It is showing 21.0 Volts. I also tried to activate the fuel pump (one shot and continuous) from the console and it did not work. I am now stumped.

Summary:
Fuel Relay is not switching.
New Relays
New Ignition switch
Fuel pump fires when direct power applied by bypassing the fuel relay.
Fuel Relay shows momentary power from 30 to 87 when switched on.
Immobilization switch is bypassed.
21 volts???

that doesn't seam remotely right ... 13.8v should be about the number ...

------ Follow up post added January 21st, 2013 11:00 AM ------

do you have a spark?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old January 21st, 2013, 11:15 AM
Gecko
Stefano Watson
94 D90

There was one typo. 12 volts reading from RoverGauge. (I was typing while sitting the truck)
When using a voltmeter. I see power across the plug that the relay plugs into, from 30 to 87, but only momentarily. Thought this was normal as the docs say that the fuel pump is initially primed and then reactivated once the ECU knows the truck is running. However, what I am seeing is this initial power does not trigger the relay at all. I do have spark as the truck does run if I jumper 30 to 87 to "hotwire" the plug for the fuel relay. I will check 86 to 85 this afternoon.
Old January 21st, 2013, 11:18 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Well either your meter is bad or you weren't getting a good connection to the pins if you don't have voltage showing on the meter between 30 and 87 but the pump runs if you jump those two pins. Double check that you have 12 volts between them.

86 and 85 are the relay control lines... 85 is ground and 86 should have voltage when the ECU thinks you need fuel pumping.
Old January 21st, 2013, 04:01 PM
Gecko
Stefano Watson
94 D90

Thanks for the insight as I was able to find out a few more things:
With the key in position I/ON There is constant power between 30 & 87, also 85 to Gnd. No power from 85 to 86.
In looking at the schematic and the truck, 85 goes to the fuse panel and 86 goes to the ECU (gnd I suppose). Therfore 85 is power.
Interestingly though, with the key off, 85 shows continuity with ground. I am thinking that there is a short in that power supply. I have not yet chased that wire past the fuse panel. What do you suggest I investigate along that line?
Old January 26th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Gecko
Stefano Watson
94 D90

Still not solved yet. Going back to the basics as I must have missed something along the way. Will test all components separately today.
Where are the electrical grounds located?
Old January 29th, 2013, 12:05 AM
Gecko
Stefano Watson
94 D90

Problem Solved! After extensive ripping everything apart and going mad. The truck is finally running. Turns out is was a very simple problem. The harness that the fuel relay plugs into needs replacement. Original problem was a failed relay. When I put the spare relay into it, the ground wire pushed out the back. It is a small gauge wire and looks ok from the back. The bad connection metered fine but would not carry the current. Lucas!

Thanks for all the help and pointing me in the right direction once all the obvious culprits were eliminated.
Old January 29th, 2013, 12:29 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
If I had a nickel or every ome I've had a connector push out the back and cause a problem...
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel, relay