94 discovery automatice transmission capacity - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 26th, 2004, 09:21 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
94 discovery automatic transmission capacity

Disco Owners,

My D90 has a '94 discovery automatic trannsmission and I can't find the capacity for this transmission. I assume a '94 is a Disco1, but all I have found is 8 quarts for a Disco2, and at 6 quarts my transmission looks overfilled already. The fluid is so clean its hard to tell, but i'm pretty sure I've overfilled it already - will check it again in good light, but would like to know what It should be.

thanks
charles

EDIT: fixed typo in subject and made it clear this is a auto transmission from a 94 discovery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 26th, 2004, 10:22 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Fill it to the bottom of the fill hole, it holds about 2.5 quarts, the manual says 2.3 liters. To check it, pull the fill plug and stick your finger in, your finger should come out with oil on it. When I fill mine I keep pushing fluid in it until it pours out, then I stick the plug in quick. Also make sure you are parked on level ground.
Old August 26th, 2004, 10:27 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Mike, we're talking about an automatic transmission here right?

Where is the fill hole? - I don't see one. I have been pouring it down the dipstick tube.

charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 26th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

DOH I saw 94 and thought manual my mistake, as far as the auto don't you just fill it until the dip stick says it's full? Also I know on allot of other cars you will have different readings when the tranns is hot and cold. If it is overfilled I would say to drain some out, my friends tranns in his car was overfilled by the dealer when they replaced it and it only lasted 5k miles before it was toast. And I thought most tranns fluid was red?
Old August 26th, 2004, 10:57 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Yeah the dipstick says check while cold, running in idle. I wasn't sure how cold is cold and it had been running for a few minutes. This was late last night. I have better light now, and checked, and I was way over .

The fluid looks really red as it comes out the drain plug (I just dumped a couple quarts), but was very hard to see on the stick last night, and still looks very clear in good light.

All better now. Time get some work done

charles

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, cover, disco, discovery, transmission