94 Defender Tail Light Issues - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old May 1st, 2012, 11:39 AM
Defender_90
Status: Offline
Kevin Doonan
1999 RR HSE
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Stamford, CT
Posts: 38
94 Defender Tail Light Issues

Hello all,

I am having issues with my drivers side tail light. The brake and indicator lights work fine, but I am having real issues with the running light.

Now this is an issue because I do not much feel like getting pulled over.

Anyone have an insite? is this an on going D-90 issue?

Thanks,

KD
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old May 1st, 2012, 12:11 PM
down_shift's Avatar
down_shift
Status: Offline
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Leesburg, VA
Posts: 4,118
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender_90 View Post
Hello all,

I am having issues with my drivers side tail light. The brake and indicator lights work fine, but I am having real issues with the running light.

Now this is an issue because I do not much feel like getting pulled over.

Anyone have an insite? is this an on going D-90 issue?

Thanks,

KD
Could you clarify the light? Is it the red rectangle marker light on the side or the adjacent red tail square light on the rear? Good news, if one works, but not the other, your issue will be limited to the short wiring harness of the problem light as the both run from the same harness. Start by measuring for +12v at the receptacle then trace back to the two barrel connectors.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old May 1st, 2012, 12:35 PM
Raz's Avatar
Raz
Status: Offline
Leif
1994 90 ST #1589
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Western WA
Posts: 230
Registry
I had the same problem on the passenger side. I had 7v at the socket and 11v at the connector behind the right rear speaker. Cleaned out the connector and the light works now.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old May 1st, 2012, 01:26 PM
Defender_90
Status: Offline
Kevin Doonan
1999 RR HSE
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Stamford, CT
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Could you clarify the light? Is it the red rectangle marker light on the side or the adjacent red tail square light on the rear? Good news, if one works, but not the other, your issue will be limited to the short wiring harness of the problem light as the both run from the same harness. Start by measuring for +12v at the receptacle then trace back to the two barrel connectors.

It is the adjacent light on the rear. Can you give me some basic instructions on how to remove the light? Or anyone?

I just bought the truck and well as I am learning it is a money pit having people do the work for you and I am ready to start being alot more hands on, just need a little help from the board!

Thanks guys,

KD
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old May 1st, 2012, 01:36 PM
Raz's Avatar
Raz
Status: Offline
Leif
1994 90 ST #1589
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Western WA
Posts: 230
Registry
It could just be the second element in the bulb (1157)
The gasket around the lens just peels off and you can remove the lens and bulb. No screws or clips.

------ Follow up post added May 1st, 2012 10:41 AM ------

Try replacing the bulb first then check the connections and voltage at the socket. Then trace the wire to the connectors.

Red wire/black stripe.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old May 1st, 2012, 01:45 PM
Defender_90
Status: Offline
Kevin Doonan
1999 RR HSE
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Stamford, CT
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
It could just be the second element in the bulb (1157)
The gasket around the lens just peels off and you can remove the lens and bulb. No screws or clips.

------ Follow up post added May 1st, 2012 10:41 AM ------

Try replacing the bulb first then check the connections and voltage at the socket. From there the harness goes to the passenger side up under the wheel well behind the speaker. I forgot the wire color. The RAVE .pdf is invaluable for showing the routes and colors of all the wires.

Where might I find this RAVE.PDF?

And so basically I just pull back the rubber housing from the lens? easy as that?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old May 1st, 2012, 01:54 PM
rijosho's Avatar
rijosho
Status: Offline
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,557
Registry
Save this as a favorite in your browser and on your smart phone if you have one.

http://www.internet-tools.co.uk/land...l%20(1993).pdf

And if you ever buy a 1997:

http://www.internet-tools.co.uk/land...l%20(1997).pdf
__________________
Quote:
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old May 1st, 2012, 01:56 PM
Raz's Avatar
Raz
Status: Offline
Leif
1994 90 ST #1589
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Western WA
Posts: 230
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender_90 View Post

And so basically I just pull back the rubber housing from the lens? easy as that?
Easy as that.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old May 1st, 2012, 02:33 PM
Defender_90
Status: Offline
Kevin Doonan
1999 RR HSE
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Stamford, CT
Posts: 38
Thank everyone for the help, I am going to look into this today and hopefully get it squared away with messing anything up.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old May 1st, 2012, 10:24 PM
Defender_90
Status: Offline
Kevin Doonan
1999 RR HSE
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Stamford, CT
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender_90 View Post
Thank everyone for the help, I am going to look into this today and hopefully get it squared away with messing anything up.

Thanks everyone. I sorted out the issue with the tail lights. Turns out that the issue was a bad connection at the bulb. After taking off the lens I went out and bought a new replacemtn bulb and it worked perfect. Happy to avoid getting pulled over for now.

Thanks,

KD
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old May 1st, 2012, 10:27 PM
nathanwind's Avatar
nathanwind
Status: Offline
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Saratoga NY
Posts: 8,743
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Save this as a favorite in your browser and on your smart phone if you have one.

http://www.internet-tools.co.uk/land...l%20(1993).pdf

And if you ever buy a 1997:

http://www.internet-tools.co.uk/land...l%20(1997).pdf
Nice work Josh...I was/am in need of this as well, big help on this end too.

On a related note...you have access to the NAS wiring diagram/schematic? Got to sort my turn signals/hazards.
__________________
Jason Lavender
'71 Series IIA
'88 127 #F96 DKN
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cheaper rear tail light assembly RyanB16 Misc. Chit-Chat 6 January 28th, 2011 06:53 PM
95 tail lights on a 94 tub - possible? CDeWan Defender Technical Discussions 21 May 31st, 2010 08:17 AM
94 Defender 90 red mstrjake138 For Sale - Vehicles 3 January 12th, 2010 01:46 PM
rear tail light bulb socket. RyanB16 Wanted 5 March 30th, 2009 02:57 PM
94 defender 90 w/ 27k miles ebanks For Sale - Vehicles 5 September 8th, 2004 01:05 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 AM.


Copyright