'94 D90 tune-up fail - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 25th, 2014, 06:59 PM
Chris Davis
94 D90, 88 RRC
Don't assume your module is alright just because you idle good. I don't know if it was a good spare or suspect, but if it was suspect I would swap in a known good just to rule that out. Are you running a stock distributor? There is a little plastic piece in them that sometimes gets brittle and breaks and can cause some issues. If you take off the rotor, then unscrew the plastic protecting plate, you will see what I think is a circlip on the shaft and under that a washer and a plastic ring--I am pretty sure that is what broke on mine and caused me some head ache to be sure. It was on my RRC, but same deal.

Old July 19th, 2014, 08:59 PM
Micah Cobb
1994 Defender ST "AA" Yellow
OK Team...

After much delay and after double-checking timing....I fixed the o-ring located in the joint between the MAF and the air filter housing, which had a split in it, possibly allowing the MAF to ground on the housing. The 90 still stumbled under load....

So, I went back to the circumstances around when the problem began ....the truck began stumbling/ hesitating after being driven home in a downpour and parked for a few days.

When chatting with an old Houston Land Rover Club pal, he recalled a story of another member's 90 taking on water through the wiring harness, which found its way into the ECU. I pulled my ECU and water started pouring from it as I was handling it. After I took the ECU apart, I dried the circuit board with a hair drier.

Reassembled the ECU, and the truck fired right up. Acceleration is restored, and she runs great!

Now, I need to figure out how to seal the harness and ECU.

Thank you to all of you who helped out along the way!

'94 D90 ST "AA" Yellow - Bone Stock (Just Bought)
'01 Disco II with Mods
Old July 20th, 2014, 01:29 PM
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP
Dielectric grease and a zip lock baggie works wonders, long term visit the container store and find box you can seal.

[I][/Ithe truck ran like a "raped ape"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions