94 D90 ST starting to die? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 5th, 2011, 02:28 PM
discoinjapan
Michael Bruzga
93 D1/ 94 D90 ST/96 D1

94 D90 ST starting to die?

Well the 90 wouldnt start for me this morning. I think the injectors are leaking and it sounded as if it were flooded. Finally started after about 8 tries. Then, went to open the hood and the cable isnt catching and it wont release the hood lock. So I went to do my chores and it ran fine but the speedo stopped and it is just clicking!!

Soooo... How can I get the hood opened when the cable is not unlatching it? And how do I check the speedo?
I have some yellow top ford injectors I can throw in there for the the first problem.

As always thanks in advance!
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 5th, 2011, 04:32 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Remove the black plastic grill and you can get to the latch mechanism, or at the very least trigger it by pulling on the cable (look to the left of the latch when looking at the radiator).

The speedo can be checked by undoing the instrument cluster and carefully pulling it out a bit so you can see behind the speedo. The cable should be connected to the back of the speedo. If it is connected, you can disconnect and drive and check the inner cable is turning. If not, it's a two piece unit and could be either one. One goes from the transfer case to the vss (vehicle speed sensor), the other from the vss up to the speedo. The vcc is on the inner side of the frame below the driver.

Make sure the injectors are the right ones (right pressure).

hth
charles
Old February 5th, 2011, 05:01 PM
discoinjapan
Michael Bruzga
93 D1/ 94 D90 ST/96 D1

Thank you! much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 5th, 2011, 05:09 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

^^^ good advice. Before you pull the grill you might have someone pull and hold the hood release cable out while you try pushing down and lifting up on the hood. If that doesn't work you'll have to pull the grill.

If the speedo is clicking it probably has a stripped gear. You can get a new one from RDS for $195 or have yours repaired. When you pull the cable off the back of the speedometer try turning it with your fingers. If it spins freely chances are its just a broken cable. There are two as described ^^^

When it rains it pours
Old February 6th, 2011, 08:06 AM
discoinjapan
Michael Bruzga
93 D1/ 94 D90 ST/96 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespierce View Post
^^^ good advice. Before you pull the grill you might have someone pull and hold the hood release cable out while you try pushing down and lifting up on the hood. If that doesn't work you'll have to pull the grill.

If the speedo is clicking it probably has a stripped gear. You can get a new one from RDS for $195 or have yours repaired. When you pull the cable off the back of the speedometer try turning it with your fingers. If it spins freely chances are its just a broken cable. There are two as described ^^^

When it rains it pours

The screw that secures the cable end to the latch is loose so pulling on the cable wont work. Im just going to have to pull the grill. The speedo, its clicking in sync with the truck speed so the cable is working, must be a gear inside.

funny, it was raining yesterday....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, start, starting