94 D90 St Ac - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 7th, 2009, 07:27 AM
discoinjapan
Michael Bruzga
93 D1/ 94 D90 ST/96 D1

94 D90 St Ac

I have found out that AC was an option on these. If AC was declined as an option would the controls still be on there? Or is this aftermarket?

[img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/HP_ADM%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-5.jpg[/img]
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2009, 07:38 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Early AC units had the control switch mounted as in your pic, later ones were integrated. If you want AC, do your best to find a truck which is already equipped. RN is dropping many part numbers, kits for the 97 are NLA and even the OEM's like Elite are discontinuing some units. At least 4 different companies have supplied AC units for LR - Wynn, Diavia, Smith, and Elite.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old May 7th, 2009, 09:14 AM
discoinjapan
Michael Bruzga
93 D1/ 94 D90 ST/96 D1

Well Jim, I just purchased this one and the guy that sold it is saying he will have his mechanic fix the A/C before I have someone pick it up. I'm not sure if it has AC though. Hes a used car dealer who was selling it for a client. I'm not sure if he knows much about defenders.

Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2009, 12:20 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

If it's got the controls and the vents at the bottom of the dash then it should have AC. Do you have any pics of the interior?

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:16 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I guess I don't understand the main point o f your original question - I thought you were just asking about what it meant if there was/was not a little AC control box in the middle of the dash. Whats the deal with the truck you just bought? Simply non-working AC?

Old May 7th, 2009, 04:01 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

I think they are aftermarket. meaning the truck should have AC on it. I have the same controls and they are screwed into the cubby area. the vents should be in the normal spot by yours knees across the facade of the dash. I actually hate this set up because it takes up room in the cubby area and other crap too.
Old May 7th, 2009, 04:13 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
The previous owner of my 94 had the AC installed afterwards. I think he did it in 1997.
The placement is like the picture posted. Not sure if it's aftermarket, but it was installed at a dealership. I would guess its not aftermarket.

Is it easy to move these controls to another location?
I agree, what a terrible location.
Old May 7th, 2009, 08:34 PM
discoinjapan
Michael Bruzga
93 D1/ 94 D90 ST/96 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by specops1526
If it's got the controls and the vents at the bottom of the dash then it should have AC. Do you have any pics of the interior?
Thats all I have for now.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
I guess I don't understand the main point o f your original question - I thought you were just asking about what it meant if there was/was not a little AC control box in the middle of the dash. Whats the deal with the truck you just bought? Simply non-working AC?
Actually, I dont know what is wrong with it as I havent seen it yet. The guy I bought it from (dealer)says the AC doesnt work and will try to fix it for me , the prior owner says "it doesnt have AC". I am trying to figure out if it actually has it and it doesnt work or it is not even installed. I only have a few pics to reference by.

Mike

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityD90
The previous owner of my 94 had the AC installed afterwards. I think he did it in 1997.
The placement is like the picture posted. Not sure if it's aftermarket, but it was installed at a dealership. I would guess its not aftermarket.

Is it easy to move these controls to another location?
I agree, what a terrible location.
The PO of this says ALL work was done by LR dealer.
Old May 7th, 2009, 08:38 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Did you get a smokin' deal on this? Because it sounds like you're in the process of getting screwed...

Old May 7th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Is this Red D90 bought at BMW dealer north of Pittsburgh PA?

If that is the case I saw it back in January, and the story I've got then was as follow:
Manager a total TOOL
Asking Price 22900.
He claim the PO was buying a BMW X5 and they guaranteed Her 21300 in trade.
And had it only for a week.

me = Cool I am sure you made profit on the New Vehicle, my offer 18500
him = Obviously you know nothing about this SPECIAL VEHICLES
me = What makes you say that ( at this time I figured I will have him for Breakfast )?
him = You can't get one of this that easy
me = Oh I see, can you explain how everything works?
him = Well, I am not sure, but if you buy the car, I will get all the info you need
me = Okay, I still will pay 18,500
him = no, we took it for 21300, but I really want it out of my lot, quick so I will take 20500
me = didn't you just say you had it for a week?
him = correct, but we don't have a big market for this things
me = didn't you just say it is a HARD TO FIND Special Vehicle?
Him = I have to go make a call, let me know if you want to buy it for 20,500
me = no, only 18500.
him = have a nice day

Oooopss No A/C compressor on the 90, ( don't know about Evap. drier , but ABSOLUTELY NO A/C Compressor under the Bonet )

If your 90 is not this one, enjoy the story
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:42 PM
discoinjapan
Michael Bruzga
93 D1/ 94 D90 ST/96 D1

Quote:
Did you get a smokin' deal on this? Because it sounds like you're in the process of getting screwed...
I got it for $18,600. I had Rob Davison go and check it out for me. He looked over it good. The truck is very solid with only minor rust where the roll cage is bolted on. The only thing wrong with this is the AC. I agreed to the price above as is with no AC. After the sell he said he would have his mechanic look at it and try to fix it for me for free. I don't believe Im being had at all.
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:43 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Michael,
If I am understanding the question you are asking if the put a fan and thermostat control facia in all D-90s regardless if the owner had requested or not requested a/c correct. I think if you see pictures that have the little control fan/thermostat than yes it did come with a/c but I don't know how much of it would be left i.e. if they removed the unit and just left the controls.

On a side note - My a/c on my 94 was making a terrible howing which would then end up getting the motor hot on the a/c vent blower. I took the a/c apart and found out that the 2 inlet rings around the squirrel cage fan housing were interferring with the squirrel cage fan and that it the whole unit was fastened too tight to the bulk head. I removed the 2 inlet rings (serve really no function) and did not tighten the a/c unit too hard to the bulkhead....problem solved. No more howling or blown fuses.

Also I was instructed by the first owner of the vehicle to always turn on the fan FIRST...then the compressor as they are both run off of the same wiring harness/fuse (25 amp) and it is really easy to blow that fuse if you overload the system.
If you look under the hood, the A/C relays are affixed to the outside of the heater box, it should be a little black box with 2 relays and a bunch of wiring. The dealer may want to pop off the cover and see if any of those relays are blown. Also, may want to test the pusher fan in front of the radiator and make sure it is good.
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:45 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I bet dealer - guy doesn't know that the AC unit is supposed to be hanging under the dash. If he has promised working AC, and there is no AC, I'd either use it as a pretense to canx the deal, or make him eat the the 3k it will probably cost to install AC.

Old May 7th, 2009, 10:46 PM
discoinjapan
Michael Bruzga
93 D1/ 94 D90 ST/96 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier
Is this Red D90 bought at BMW dealer north of Pittsburgh PA?

If that is the case I saw it back in January, and the story I've got then was as follow:
Manager a total TOOL
Asking Price 22900.
He claim the PO was buying a BMW X5 and they guaranteed Her 21300 in trade.
And had it only for a week.

me = Cool I am sure you made profit on the New Vehicle, my offer 18500
him = Obviously you know nothing about this SPECIAL VEHICLES
me = What makes you say that ( at this time I figured I will have him for Breakfast )?
him = You can't get one of this that easy
me = Oh I see, can you explain how everything works?
him = Well, I am not sure, but if you buy the car, I will get all the info you need
me = Okay, I still will pay 18,500
him = no, we took it for 21300, but I really want it out of my lot, quick so I will take 20500
me = didn't you just say you had it for a week?
him = correct, but we don't have a big market for this things
me = didn't you just say it is a HARD TO FIND Special Vehicle?
Him = I have to go make a call, let me know if you want to buy it for 20,500
me = no, only 18500.
him = have a nice day

Oooopss No A/C compressor on the 90, ( don't know about Evap. drier , but ABSOLUTELY NO A/C Compressor under the Bonet )

If your 90 is not this one, enjoy the story
I don't believe it is the same. At least its not the same seller.
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:47 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

for the 1994 system:

I have a spare compressor.

I also have a spare evaporator in its housing, but no upper part.

Old May 7th, 2009, 10:53 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by discoinjapan
I got it for $18,600. I had Rob Davison go and check it out for me. He looked over it good. The truck is very solid with only minor rust where the roll cage is bolted on. The only thing wrong with this is the AC. I agreed to the price above as is with no AC. After the sell he said he would have his mechanic look at it and try to fix it for me for free. I don't believe Im being had at all.
Ok, lots of developments at the same time here. I'm glad you had someone check it out, it sounded like you were buying sight-unseen from some some ignorant dealer.

Either way, I still don't understand if you mean "not equipped with AC" or "AC not functioning." If the PO says there was not an AC, that would seem to indicated that its not present.

If Clay's guess as to your meaning is correct, than I concur with him that "lack of AC switches in the center of the dash" does not, ipso facto, mean "AC not installed" - since the AC controls can be located on the actual AC unit itself.

Old May 7th, 2009, 11:14 PM
discoinjapan
Michael Bruzga
93 D1/ 94 D90 ST/96 D1

Quote:
I bet dealer - guy doesn't know that the AC unit is supposed to be hanging under the dash. If he has promised working AC, and there is no AC, I'd either use it as a pretense to canx the deal, or make him eat the the 3k it will probably cost to install AC.
I knew the AC wasnt working when I bought it. I purchased the vehicle that way. When I was making arrangements for it to be picked up (this Saturday) he mentioned to me that he could have his mechanic look at the AC and see if he can fix it but that if I were to do that it wouldnt be ready for pick up until early next week. He left the choice up to me, pick it up Sat with no AC; or pick it up early next week with "hopefully" working AC, at no cost to me. I chose the after.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Ok, lots of developments at the same time here. I'm glad you had someone check it out, it sounded like you were buying sight-unseen from some some ignorant dealer.

Either way, I still don't understand if you mean "not equipped with AC" or "AC not functioning." If the PO says there was not an AC, that would seem to indicated that its not present.

If Clay's guess as to your meaning is correct, than I concur with him that "lack of AC switches in the center of the dash" does not, ipso facto, mean "AC not installed" - since the AC controls can be located on the actual AC unit itself.
Clay was right!
Sorry for my mis informative post. I should have been more clear in my question.

Mike

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
for the 1994 system:

I have a spare compressor.

I also have a spare evaporator in its housing, but no upper part.

Thanks Ron, I will let you know if needed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, ac, d90