94 D90 Deal??? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 4th, 2004, 11:36 AM
discocolo
Jeff Pearson

Question 94 D90 Deal???

You have a great site here. I'm new to this site. I currently have a 2000 Disco that my wife drives, and I have the opportunity to buy a 94 D90 for myself. I wanted to get some thoughts on teh vehicle from some of you guys (good price, what you think about the extras, etc.). I've listed the details below.

- 94 D90 (150,000 miles - mostly highway)
-Alpine alarm w/ radar
-New BFG mud terrains 255/85
-Imported diesel engine w/40,000 miles
-Dual Optima batteries
-Diffs (front tru-track) (rear detroit), axles, cv joints, HD Drive shaft (can't remember which brand) - these all have just 40,000 miles also
- New ignition swith
- New headlights
- New balljoints and bushings
- New clutch master cylinder
- New rear pinion seal
- ARB front bumber w/multiple lights
- XD 9000 winch
- Recovery points front and rear
- Stainless bolt kit
- Snorkel
- Steering guard (SG I think)
- SG HD Tie rods
- Rock sliders
- Tuffy boxes
- Hard and soft top in decent shape
- He will also give up all his recovery gear w/ it
- Body is in good shape
- OME lift

I think that is all. He said he would take 23,000 for the truck. I am just curious what you guys think of that price, and the truck in general. Highmiles, but the drivetrain, engine and most mechanical parts are practically brand new. I would appreciate any thoughts or comments you have.

Thanks,
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2004, 11:40 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
go for it
Old November 4th, 2004, 12:01 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
How's the frame?

Depends on what you value as to whether it's a deal. If your talking about value vs. the D-90 market, a modified, wheeled vehicle is always going to go for much less than an unmodified truck. Except in that 1 in 20 scenario where a buyer wants the modified vehicle and recognizes the cost of buying and installing each mod. In that case, 23K isn't that bad at all.

But I do think the mileage is pretty steep at that price. It comes down to how you value it. If the truck is in good condition, drives nice, handles well, etc. I'd say it's not bad if your planning on keeping those mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

What type of diesel motor? How is the frame? How does the conversion look (Diesels were never offered here in the states)?

Sounds a little suspect. Diesel motors, LR and IH 2.8s, are a highly sought after item in the US. They're pricey in kit form and time consuming to install. So it leads me to the question as to why he would sell it for so cheap? if it has a 300tdi or 2.8 and its in good working order it, he could get an additional 10k for it, easy. The motor is practically new.... Add that to the newer items listed above, sounds suspect.

EwS
Old November 4th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

150,000 miles is a lot! Check out the engine compression test, check that the T-case and trans shift smoothly. I paid the same for my 90 with a kinda similar set up but that was 2 years ago and it only had 80k on the clock.
Old November 4th, 2004, 12:13 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Hmm. I missed the diesel motor piece of it. As Eric said, what version is it, is it installed and how does it drive? Was the trans changed along with it (not that is has to be)?
Old November 4th, 2004, 01:21 PM
discocolo
Jeff Pearson

David:

The frame is in good shape. No problems there. The miles are really my only concern, but since everything is practically brand new including the engine that doesn't bother me much, and I do plan on keeping the mods. I love my Disco, but it is a daily driver for my wife and she is only 5'3" so any mods to it are out of the question for now. I did put larger tires on it for the trails, but that is all for now. Plus I would love to have a D90!! I'm not sure if the the trans was changed with it. I was wondering that myself. If it hasn't been swapped out what are your thoughts with that many miles?

Eric:

It is a true LR diesel 300tdi. He had a connection in the midwest that imported it for him. He paid $10,000 for the conversion, and to my knowledge he has not had any problems. That is one of the reasons I am taking a hard look at it. I know those engines are rare here in the states. He actually drove the truck out there and left it for 2 weeks for the conversion. I will be asking him more detailed questions about that for sure. His parents have quite a bit of money, so he is not concerned about selling it for a good profit, and he is a friend of mine. I think that is why he is willing to let it go so cheap. He is also wanting to get rid of it pretty bad. Poor guy!! He never has a chance to drive it anymore so.... Are there any specific things I should look for on the conversion?

Mike:

Did yours have a diesel?

I'm not super familiar with the D90's so any further comment or suggestions would be great.
Thanks for your help so far.

Jeff
Old November 4th, 2004, 01:41 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Buy. If you like the way the tdi drives, buy.

Otherwise, give me the contact info, and I will.
Old November 4th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Walk. Run away from it...FAST! Give me the number of that bastard and I will take care of him...

Seriously though, if you are okay with the diesel (at these gas prices, who wouldn't be), go for it. If you don't, and Dave doesn't, I'll be third in line. :D

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 4th, 2004, 02:06 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Swap alone makes it owrth it. Hell that motor is fresh yet.

Can you do me a favor? Ask him where he had it done. Midwest the only one I have heard of is Pendy Imports in Kansas. He posts more on the POR board but I have seen him pop up here from time to time. Many people speak highly of his work, and the pictures I have seen support it.

10k is a good price for the conversion. EastCoastRovers wants much more..

EwS
Old November 4th, 2004, 02:34 PM
discocolo
Jeff Pearson

You guys are cracking me up!! I think these last few comments confirms what I thought. That is, if I buy it for 23,000 I am stealing it practically. Thanks for all the comments. I will try to find out where he had the conversion done, and let you know. Hopefully I will be on here with you guys more in the near future discussing various D90 topics.

I am definately not giving his name out though. Sure as I do next thing I know he would have 4 or 5 offers on it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,
Jeff
Old November 4th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Cool! Buy it er steal it and don't look back. post some pics when you have it. Especially the motor.

EwS
Old November 4th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Nope, no Diesel in mine, so you got a deal there, if the fluids are good in the tranns and she shifts good then I would not worry about it to much. The manual tranns seem to go a long time even with problems. With the newer motor with only 40k I would say you should be good for at least another 40k as long as the drive train was not beat up too much.
Old November 4th, 2004, 03:38 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Jeff

If you want a second opinion I would be willing to take a look at it with you. I think there is a Land Rover tech at Flatiron that has an oil burner in his defender that he converted himself. You may get him to look it over for a few bucks, it may be worth it.

Mike
Old November 4th, 2004, 07:55 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

23k is a good price.

I would not go so far as to say a steal but it is a good price for sure.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90