94 D-90 won't start - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 14th, 2005, 02:10 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
94 D-90 won't start

Hi All

First, I have scoured the forums for this problem and although I got some troubleshooting tips, I haven't seen this exact problem aired.

My D sat for a few weeks, and tonight when I went to start it, I hear the fuel pump run, and then just a click (from the solenoid I believe).

I checked the battery is putting out 12 volts. I even tried jump starting it (had to move it out of the comfort of my garage out into the rain/dark

I swapped the two yellow relays in the fuse panel with no difference. (one confirmed to be the headlight relay and working, the other I think is the starte relay).

In the morning I'll get under it and check for voltage at the starter, and perhaps give it a whack.

The damn thing is an auto or I'd roll/bump start it. grrrr.

So does this sound like the solenoid is ok, and the starter is frozen or bad?

thanks
charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2005, 07:47 AM
ripp2002
L C
94 Defender 90

75% of the time I found that when it clicks its the starter. But that is with normal cars. I do not seem to know shit about defenders. LOL

Larry
Old January 14th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hey Charles, haven't heard from ya in a while. If it is just one click from the solenoid the I would think that either the starter is bad or it is getting no juice. if giving it a wack works then it may just need to be cleaned and have the brushes replaced. Oh and this has come up before, actually very recently, but you would have never found it searching as Tyler posted it in Chit chat and labeled it pissed.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=4174

If you didn't know, there are 2 bolts holding the starter on, I think they are 8mm alan key. and they will be on tight! I suggest getting a metric alan key set like this

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...=Three-Eighths Inch Drive Sockets & Ratchets

that will be your best bet for removing it. If you feel so inclined then pull it open and check out the brushes and clean out the dirt. Or you could take it to a rebuild shop and they will fix it for around $100, And you should be able to buy a one from most of the major auto parts stores.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2005, 08:11 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Thanks guys.

Mike, been really busy. Working way too hard for anyone's good. My D was sitting for 2 reasons

1. I still have a hole in my front diff (ok has trevors field repair but have not been driving it)
2. I had picked up my hardtop a few weeks ago and put it on top of my defender (needed somewhere to put it). Have been too busy to instal it.

Anyway, got motivated to install it yesterday, because today I have help from someone with a welder to fix my diff. If I can get her there!!!!

I read Tylers' thread but he didn't quite describe the symptoms the same until the last note I now see - but good to know it was the same issue (although he never came out and confirmed it actually was the starter).

In my experience with other vehicles this is the starter, but I'm praying that when I go out into the rain this morning and give the starter a good whack, it will co-operate long enough for me to get to get to the shop where I'm headed to fix my diff.

I'll let you know what happens, but first I have a Dr. Appt.

charles
Old January 14th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Heath
Heath Ahrens
1995/D-90

Mike is right... Hit it with a hammer.
It may help you get is started for a while...
The brushes are pretty easy to do yourself.
You can get the whole assembly for under $30 (brushes on a plate (I think this is what the other part is called)) which is well worth not having to solder them together.
Hope this helps.
Old January 15th, 2005, 12:44 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Hey guys

Yes, a smack with a hammer got me my initial start, and with a few retries she started the subsequent 4-5 times I needed it to today!

Front diff patched and diff guard installed, so I'm a happy camper. Will look into my options for the starter over the next few days.

Thanks again for the advise

charles
Old January 15th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Wish I'd know you needed a cover, have 2 spares here. Start putting penetrating fluid on that top bolt now, it'll be a bitch.
Old January 15th, 2005, 11:40 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Hi Tony

I still need a rear diff guard if you one. I'm partial to the QT which wrap up around the pinion a bit iirc, but let me know what you have and what you want for it.

I'll take your advise and start a seris of PB Blaster treatements.

charles
Old January 15th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Don't have a guard, but have 2 diff covers (for yours that had a hole in it). Sorry i can't help!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d-90, start