90 won't crank - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 22nd, 2006, 02:51 PM
WestTexasDefender
Sam Allen
'97 LE #234

90 won't crank

My truck has been sitting in my shop for about 3 months now while I have been working on the interior and a few bolts I always tried to start it and let it run a couple times a week but for some reason the over head light was left on and drained the battery. I charged it back up and also replaced the headlight switch that had a short in it. I got that installed as soon as the battery was done charging and tried to crank the motor and nothing. The usual dashlights and everything comes up when the key is turned and that's all it does. I don't hear the starter or anything trying to move. My best guess is it's either a blown fuse or something major like alternater or starter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 22nd, 2006, 06:47 PM
WestTexasDefender
Sam Allen
'97 LE #234

i don't know why I said alternater I meant solenoid and it won't let me edit my post.
Old July 22nd, 2006, 06:58 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

I had a similar failure in late May, the key would turn all the way through the ignition points but when holding it in the start position nothing..... It turned out that the ignition switch burned out at the contacts. Check to see in your Auto if you can put you foot on the brake and select nuetral. In mine you couldnt get it into any gear b/c the solenoid won't work if the ignition switch dies.
Advertisement

Old July 22nd, 2006, 08:39 PM
WestTexasDefender
Sam Allen
'97 LE #234

that sounds like what mine is doing but I can shift gears fine. how do you check the ignition switch?
Old July 22nd, 2006, 08:47 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
is the fuel pump running, starter solenoid?
Old July 22nd, 2006, 09:26 PM
WestTexasDefender
Sam Allen
'97 LE #234

when i try to start it i pop the hood to listen if anything runs and i dont hear anything so i guess no but it's hard to check by myself
Old July 22nd, 2006, 09:47 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
the fuel pump is in the back...... its pretty obvious to me when its on. if i drive my truck without the carpet and the rubber mat in the back i can here it when I am stopped. if you turn the truck to the "on" position ull here the fuel pump come on. if you dont here it then replace the relays under the passengers seat. however if the starter isnt doing anything well you got some bigger fish to fry
Old July 23rd, 2006, 09:49 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Only since you did not say you checked them check the fuses first, not just the ones in the cab, but the ones under the hood also. Make sure that it is in park, there is a goofy little "park switch" and if I remember right it will not start unless that park switch is tripped, they can sometimes go bad.
Old July 24th, 2006, 02:43 PM
WestTexasDefender
Sam Allen
'97 LE #234

ok my best guess is that something is not connected right. the last time i was out there all my tools were in my other truck so i couldn't do much. i checked a few of the fuses under the hood but none of the big block fuses. also the fuses infront of the transfer case there is one missing, it's one of the big fuses and I can't remember it ever being there(is it just like an spare fuse or something). i'm going out there right now to check connections and the rest of the fuses so anything else that you guys might think of would be great.
Old July 24th, 2006, 10:27 PM
WestTexasDefender
Sam Allen
'97 LE #234

just got back from working on it and checked every single fuse in that thing and all were good. also checked the thing under the passenger seat with an ohmn meter and it was fine. the block fuse i said that was missing is the 3rd from the left and is black plastic were you plug in. i couldn't read the numbers on it. i don't have any diagrams or manuals except for the owners manual which just says take it to a dealer, so if anybody has anything they could email me or that's on the internet that would be great. also i still don't know how to check the ignition switch like christian said but i can switch gears and everything. just to answer a few questions from earlier, fuel pump is not running, neither is starter or solenoid. i'm gonna have a pretty busy day tomorrow but if anybody offers up more advice i could probably make an excuse to go work on it.
Old December 7th, 2006, 07:15 PM
WestTexasDefender
Sam Allen
'97 LE #234

Update

Well after being at a shop for about a month they finally figured out the problem. They said it was the "interrupter" that went bad. I didn't know what this was so they explained to me it was the little green box behind the dash. So if anyone else has a problem like mine hope this helps. Going to get my truck from getting sprayed with speedliner tomorrow and I might get to drive it for the first time in 5 months!!!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags