90 trailer wiring harness question (UK 7-pin adapter?) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 21st, 2012, 04:48 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
90 trailer wiring harness question (UK 7-pin adapter?)

So I'm probably the only one that wants to go from the US 4-flat to the UK round 7-pin connector for my trailer wiring.

Up in the wheel well is this connector (about 1" wide):
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2387.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	61355

I'm fairly certain they make a UK wiring harness that will just plug into this, but I've been unable to find one (checked ebay uk, lrseries, etc). Anyone know a source for this?

Yes, seems absurd to do this...but I can just plug it in at my leisure and tow the Sankey without needing to mess with the wiring on either truck. Then, if I need 4-flat I can just plug in the old pigtail and be back to original wiring. I've got an adapter now that I rigged up, but things get squirrelly on the lights for the Sankey (turn signal cuts out when I hit brakes, running lights as brake lights, etc).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 22nd, 2012, 08:30 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Bueller?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old November 22nd, 2012, 11:11 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I 'be always assumed I get a Sankey and keep the UK system and adapt for US. Then I got a m416.

Us wiring diagram http://www.hitchinfo.com/index.cfm?e...ntpieceid=5148

Uk wiring diagram

http://www.towitall.co.uk/towbars/wiring.aspx

If I was you, I'd replace the flat 4 with US 7 blade connector which will also allow you to run electric brakes on US trailers. Then get the UK vehicle end plug and make up an adapter between the vehicle and Sankey.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 22nd, 2012, 08:21 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The main problem I'm running in to is the Sankey has separate brake lights from turn signals. But the US wiring integrates these into one. Would be nice to separate them out.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old November 22nd, 2012, 08:40 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I run the 7 pin setup on everything. My sankey is wired for the 7. Everything else I use a 7 to four adapter.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old November 22nd, 2012, 09:46 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
I run the 7 pin setup on everything. My sankey is wired for the 7. Everything else I use a 7 to four adapter.
Do your Sankey brake lights & turn signals operate independently?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old November 22nd, 2012, 10:45 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
christ- now you hve me wondering, I'll have to hook it up and see.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old November 23rd, 2012, 08:50 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
In a 7 pin I would assume they would operate separately...I think someone already told you to just convert it to a 7 pin and be done with it!
Old November 23rd, 2012, 09:01 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
In a 7 pin I would assume they would operate separately...I think someone already told you to just convert it to a 7 pin and be done with it!
US 7 pin still combines turn signals and brakes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1123685727.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	61383  
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old November 24th, 2012, 08:44 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
US 7 pin still combines turn signals and brakes.
Unless you wire the brake lights through the brake circuit, which is what I did...and recommend you doing. Remember that in typical vehicles the turn signal, running and brake lights are all the same housing/bulb but LR doesn't work that way. Technically you can add one of those modules like you have on the 110 but for a vehicle like the 90 where you will be towing your camp trailer fairly often, I would just set it up with a 7 pin and stop worrying about mating plugs
Old November 24th, 2012, 10:19 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I tested the harness pictured in my original post last night. The brakes are on their own line in that harness, and I think I found a female harness to use and make my own connector....just going to use it and splice it into a spare UK 7-pin I have....then it should mate right up to the Sankey with separate brakes & turn signals (not to mention backup lights/etc that the Sankey has too). Seems like ultimately the best route to go to get everything working properly.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old November 25th, 2012, 07:42 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
and to avoid having Pedro using it!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, wiring