90 to 110 Conversion - What Do I Need? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 10th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
90 to 110 Conversion - What Do I Need?

So I am contemplating converting my 90 to a 110. I did some quick searches and didn't find much on the subject detailing the parts involved.

Other than the obvious longer frame, extra doors and a 110 top, what parts are needed to convert an NAS?

Does anyone have a parts list?

Can I use my NAS 90 tub?

Is it easier/cheaper to just lengthen my stock 90 frame that's solid?

Anyone have the requisite parts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 10th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

http://travelswithrover.com/
Old July 10th, 2009, 10:22 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Talk with Dale... I believe that he has done this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2009, 05:40 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Off the top of my head:

110 rear tub
110 rollcage
rear propshaft
salisbury axle (the "rover" type 90 one will physically fit, but not up to the job strength wise if you load the 110 up)
110 rear springs
110 front-to-rear brake pipe
rear lights wiring harness (goes in the chassis)
110 fuel tank & fuel pipes

Bits that are the same:

all the front suspension (although you might want heavier springs...depends on what you're running at present on the 90)
Front axle
bulhead/wings/floor/seatbox/transmission tunnel/front doors etc
rear trailling arms
A frame
shock absorber top brackets
rubber flexible brake pipe may be long enough
Old July 11th, 2009, 08:12 AM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Don't forget about all the interior bits from the front seats back.

Like the trim pieces for the headliner, THE head liner set, etc..... I realize that these pieces may seem insignificant now, but they will add up. Yes you can find them used, but what condition are you looking for, how much do you want to spend?... see where I'm going with this?

It's not as simple as just " swapping" parts from your 90.

Have fun and post some pics!
Old July 11th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Well, I need to find a 110 frame and tub first!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old July 11th, 2009, 08:32 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Why not just sale the 90 and buy a 110?
Old July 11th, 2009, 08:48 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
too easy
Old July 11th, 2009, 09:40 AM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4

That's the best advise. If you purchase a true NAS 110, it will hold a greater resale value than anything you try to build out of a 90. IMHO.
Old July 11th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I don't have $40-60k for an NAS 110, and the 90 prices have tanked. My D90 is worth $6k less now than a year ago. And a 110 conversion is ridiculously easy if you can get the parts.

They are like Lego sets.

Semper Fi!
Old July 11th, 2009, 10:16 AM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication
I don't have $40-60k for an NAS 110, and the 90 prices have tanked. My D90 is worth $6k less now than a year ago. And a 110 conversion is ridiculously easy if you can get the parts.

They are like Lego sets.
True about the cost of a 110,... understood. But the rest is a really funny statement. How would you know how easy it is if you're asking " what parts do I need?".. ?
Old July 11th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Are you kidding? I've been restoring cars for the past 15 years. Land Rovers are ridiculously easy to build, so it's pretty easy to make the logical jump that a 110 conversion would be easy. Asking what parts I need has nothing to do with how easy or hard the project will be.

Thanks for the advice.

Semper Fi!
Old July 11th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
well i get where carey is coming from. Though I think you can handle it. Don't try to use the 90 frame, better to flog that to help with your costs. I think the most important question is whether you want a 3 door or 5 door. HT or ST NAS style? 3 door would require signifcantly less parts expenditure. You might do well to buy a complete 110 and sell the leftovers.

Quote:
Are you kidding? I've been restoring cars for the past 15 years. Land Rovers are ridiculously easy to build, so it's pretty easy to make the logical jump that a 110 conversion would be easy. Asking what parts I need has nothing to do with how easy or hard the project will be.

Thanks for the advice.
Old July 11th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Having converted my 94 NAS 90 to a 110 double cab, I guess I've been through it. The hardest part is getting the body parts. You need to decide what kind of 110 you want and then start collecting parts. Some you can find new, some you will be able to find used in good condition. And it is going to cost $$$$. Unless you have a breaker in UK, I'd talk to Rovers Down South, Rovers North and Safari Rover. You may want to do a double cab, but end up going with something else because you can't find all the parts. Once all the parts are there, it's not hard to put it all together. Get a parts catalog for the 90/110 if you don't already have one.

Also, I think they phased out the Salisbury axle on the 110 - but you can still get them in UK (drum and disc versions).
Old July 11th, 2009, 11:18 AM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Quote:

Thanks for the advice.
Your horses...reign them in. I didn't say it couldn't be done, or that it was beyond anyone's ability. I thought I tried to reply with some tact...sheesh.

Your original post was kinda vague on your "knowledge and ability", and I thought you were " in the dark".
Old July 11th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWR
Your horses...reign them in. I didn't say it couldn't be done, or that it was beyond anyone's ability. I thought I tried to reply with some tact...sheesh.

Your original post was kinda vague on your "knowledge and ability", and I thought you were " in the dark".
Yeah, you offered no real advice, just criticism of my original post. I asked what parts were needed, not how hard it was. Please don't offer up any other witty comments...

I'd be building a 5 door. My 90 is already bleeding $$, so I figure why not dump more money into it?

Plus I have a hard time buying an '83/'84 sight unseen, so if I built one I would know the quality of vehicle.

Time to start the 110 parts collection!

Semper Fi!
Old July 11th, 2009, 12:55 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Fair enough. Lone Wolf.....tool.
Old July 11th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thanks again EWR for the sage advice. If you have an issue, shoot me a pm/email, don't use this forum.

Follow-up Post:

Wait, are you calling Lone Wolf, aka Chuck Norris a tool?

Semper Fi!
Old July 11th, 2009, 01:12 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier

Also, I think they phased out the Salisbury axle on the 110 - but you can still get them in UK (drum and disc versions).
They changed the salisbury rear to a rover type axle, although it's not a 90 axle, more of a hybrid rangie P38/90/military Wolf XD type thing.

From what I hear from various people who use them, a salisbury is much better, and stronger (in standard form.... everything can obviously be upgraded, depending on how deep your pockets are)
Old July 11th, 2009, 03:35 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Poor blue ST. One more that wont exist anymore. You should do alright on the sale of your 90 ST cage which will help offset some costs. Talk to ECR they seem to sell rolling 110 projects. There was just one on here. Don't forget a new exhaust system.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, 90, conversion